First Citizen does not endorse election candidates
IT has been brought to my attention that literature currently in circulation locally in Huntingdon, promoting a candidate in the forthcoming district council elections, includes images of the Mayor of Huntingdon. The office of town mayor locally can be tr
IT has been brought to my attention that literature currently in circulation locally in Huntingdon, promoting a candidate in the forthcoming district council elections, includes images of the Mayor of Huntingdon.
The office of town mayor locally can be traced back to 1206 and is steeped in a depth of tradition, which Huntingdon Town Council values and continues to support today. The term "Corporation", in use locally until 1974, symbolised the fact that the people of the town were considered part of the council and therefore, as first citizen, the mayor symbolised the voice of the whole town and gave it an identity.
It follows that the mayor is non-political and seeks to be impartial in local controversy. As the council's elected chairman, the successful mayor retains the respect of both members of the council and their electorate by being fair and objective at all times.
Against this background, it should be clear that neither the Mayor of Huntingdon nor the council would knowingly give support to the political campaigns of any candidate standing for election. Local people should be assured of Huntingdon Town Council's stance in the circumstances and we hope that future electoral campaigns will show due regard for the principles upheld today in the tradition of mayor.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 4 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 5 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 6 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 7 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 8 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 9 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
Huntingdon Town Council