Firework withdrawn after Cambs worker injured at display

A KIMBOLTON Fireworks worker was injured after a firework malfunctioned at a public display at the weekend. The malfunction took place at a display at Bradshaw Cricket Club in Bolton on Saturday (October 18). A firework is believed exploded prematurely,

A KIMBOLTON Fireworks worker was injured after a firework malfunctioned at a public display at the weekend.

The malfunction took place at a display at Bradshaw Cricket Club in Bolton on Saturday (October 18).

A firework is believed exploded prematurely, leaving the technician, the firm said, with slight bruising to his legs and a minor abrasion to his chin.

The display was halted to assess the situation and after checking that no damage had been caused to other fireworks, the display continued.


You may also want to watch:


The man, who was wearing full protective clothing, was treated by members of St Johns Ambulance and, as a precaution, was taken to hospital.

He was released later that evening. No one else was injured.

Most Read

A spokesman for Kimbolton Fireworks said the man returned to work on Monday and was making a full recovery. The firm has also withdrawn that particular type of firework.

"We are looking into the malfunction and will carry out a thorough investigation," he said. "It is very unusual for a firework to malfunction in this manner. However, fireworks can be dangerous and there is no guarantee that they will perform as prescribed every single time."

He added: "The display policy was implemented correctly and is a testament to the firers and the organisers who ensure safety that the incident passed without any further consequences."

Kimbolton Fireworks is world-famous for staging prestigious fireworks displays including those for the Trafalgar celebrations and the hand over of Hong Kong to China.

In November 2005 the company apologised after its firework display at Wickstead Park near Kettering ended with 11 people being injured. About 15,000 spectators were watching the event when a firework shot into the crowd.

The company said a malfunctioning shell was to blame.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter