Firework withdrawn after Cambs worker injured at display
A KIMBOLTON Fireworks worker was injured after a firework malfunctioned at a public display at the weekend. The malfunction took place at a display at Bradshaw Cricket Club in Bolton on Saturday (October 18). A firework is believed exploded prematurely,
A KIMBOLTON Fireworks worker was injured after a firework malfunctioned at a public display at the weekend.
The malfunction took place at a display at Bradshaw Cricket Club in Bolton on Saturday (October 18).
A firework is believed exploded prematurely, leaving the technician, the firm said, with slight bruising to his legs and a minor abrasion to his chin.
The display was halted to assess the situation and after checking that no damage had been caused to other fireworks, the display continued.
You may also want to watch:
The man, who was wearing full protective clothing, was treated by members of St Johns Ambulance and, as a precaution, was taken to hospital.
He was released later that evening. No one else was injured.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 3 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 4 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 5 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 6 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 7 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 8 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
A spokesman for Kimbolton Fireworks said the man returned to work on Monday and was making a full recovery. The firm has also withdrawn that particular type of firework.
"We are looking into the malfunction and will carry out a thorough investigation," he said. "It is very unusual for a firework to malfunction in this manner. However, fireworks can be dangerous and there is no guarantee that they will perform as prescribed every single time."
He added: "The display policy was implemented correctly and is a testament to the firers and the organisers who ensure safety that the incident passed without any further consequences."
Kimbolton Fireworks is world-famous for staging prestigious fireworks displays including those for the Trafalgar celebrations and the hand over of Hong Kong to China.
In November 2005 the company apologised after its firework display at Wickstead Park near Kettering ended with 11 people being injured. About 15,000 spectators were watching the event when a firework shot into the crowd.
The company said a malfunctioning shell was to blame.