Firefighters warn smokers to stub it out
PEOPLE who smoke at home are being urged to make sure cigarettes are put out properly after a house fire in Fenstanton. Firefighters from Huntingdon and St Ives were called at 12.30pm on Wednesday August 15 to Headlands where a discarded cigarette end ha
PEOPLE who smoke at home are being urged to make sure cigarettes are put out properly after a house fire in Fenstanton.
Firefighters from Huntingdon and St Ives were called at 12.30pm on Wednesday August 15 to Headlands where a discarded cigarette end had ignited some linen in a bedroom. It is thought that a teenager was smoking in the bedroom and did not extinguish the cigarette properly before making his way downstairs.
Luckily, his father alerted the fire service after he went upstairs to fetch his glasses, and smelt smoke.
Kevin Napier, crew managed for Huntingdon Fire Station said the incident highlighted the dangers of smoking in bedrooms. He said: "We always urge residents to put it out, right out - it can be easy for a fire to start from a carelessly discarded cigarette.
You may also want to watch:
"Fortunately in this case, the father managed to spot the fire and phone the fire service. Because of this, the fire damage was contained to the bedroom. However, if this had not happened then the fire could have spread very quickly and caused further damage."
A smoke alarm was present in the house but as a precaution replacement alarms were fitted.
- 1 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 2 Burglary tip-off unearths £1.38m cannabis 'factory'
- 3 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 4 Family-run business with expanding reputation
- 5 Election Special: Who's standing where in Huntingdonshire
- 6 National Trust reveal theft of 'historic items' and damage to Wimpole Hall
- 7 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 8 'Keeping things simple' is key to business success for St Neots firm
- 9 St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor
- 10 For sale: Carefully crafted, new build homes with generous plots in rural village of Clopton
INFORMATION: To request a free fire home safety check and smoke alarm visit your nearest fire station.