Firefighters warn smokers to stub it out
PEOPLE who smoke at home are being urged to make sure cigarettes are put out properly after a house fire in Fenstanton. Firefighters from Huntingdon and St Ives were called at 12.30pm on Wednesday August 15 to Headlands where a discarded cigarette end ha
PEOPLE who smoke at home are being urged to make sure cigarettes are put out properly after a house fire in Fenstanton.
Firefighters from Huntingdon and St Ives were called at 12.30pm on Wednesday August 15 to Headlands where a discarded cigarette end had ignited some linen in a bedroom. It is thought that a teenager was smoking in the bedroom and did not extinguish the cigarette properly before making his way downstairs.
Luckily, his father alerted the fire service after he went upstairs to fetch his glasses, and smelt smoke.
Kevin Napier, crew managed for Huntingdon Fire Station said the incident highlighted the dangers of smoking in bedrooms. He said: "We always urge residents to put it out, right out - it can be easy for a fire to start from a carelessly discarded cigarette.
"Fortunately in this case, the father managed to spot the fire and phone the fire service. Because of this, the fire damage was contained to the bedroom. However, if this had not happened then the fire could have spread very quickly and caused further damage."
A smoke alarm was present in the house but as a precaution replacement alarms were fitted.
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 3 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 4 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 8 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 9 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
- 10 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
INFORMATION: To request a free fire home safety check and smoke alarm visit your nearest fire station.