Fire Ravages Bungalow

FIRE ravaged a bungalow in Papworth Everard yesterday evening (Wednesday). The blaze began shortly after 11pm in a car port next to a home in Athlone Close, before spreading to the bungalow itself. Two occupants of the house escaped without injury after s

FIRE ravaged a bungalow in Papworth Everard yesterday evening (Wednesday).

The blaze began shortly after 11pm in a car port next to a home in Athlone Close, before spreading to the bungalow itself.

Two occupants of the house escaped without injury after spotting the flames engulfing the car port at about 11.15pm, a spokesman for Cambridgeshire fire and rescue said.

The fire destroyed much of the roof, causing debris to collapse into the bungalow. The fire began in a washing machine stored in the carport, an investigation has revealed.


You may also want to watch:


The fire service has praised the swift actions of the householders for the speed in which they evacuated the cottage.

Bruce Parcell, station manager, said: "This is exactly what you are supposed to do if fire breaks out. Get out and stay out.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter