Fire At St Neots Factory
A FACTORY blaze in St Neots in the early hours of Friday morning (Sept 26) saw a hazardous materials unit scrambled. However firefighters acted quickly to prevent risk to public health and extinguished the fire at PhotoFabrication Ltd, in Cromwell Road. S
A FACTORY blaze in St Neots in the early hours of Friday morning (Sept 26) saw a hazardous materials unit scrambled.
However firefighters acted quickly to prevent risk to public health and extinguished the fire at PhotoFabrication Ltd, in Cromwell Road.
Smoke was spotted coming from the factory by a member of the public at about 2.40am. Four fire engines, police and a hazardous materials unit attended the scene.
Police closed Cromwell Road while the fire service assessed whether there was a risk to the public.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus located the fire in a piece of machinery in a room at the rear of the property and spent two hours putting the fire out.
The machine, used for cleaning metal, was destroyed and the room it was in was severely fire-damaged.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 3 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
- 7 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 8 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 9 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
Police reopened Cromwell Road at 4.30am and the fire was fully put out at 4.50am.
Nick Foster, incident commander for the fire service, said: "Crews did a great job in locating the fire so quickly - because of this they were able to stop it from spreading and affecting the rest of the building.
"The hazardous materials unit was deployed as a there are a number of chemicals stored on the site, but because we were quickly able to get to the location of the fire, there was no threat to public safety."
A fire investigation is under way but the cause is not thought to have been deliberate.