Fire at Somersham manor house
FIREFIGHTERS were called to a manor house on fire in Somersham. The blaze happened at Somersham House, in Rectory Lane at 12.29pm on Thursday (September 24).One fire crew from Chatteris, two from Huntingdon and one from Ramsey attended the scene.A spok
FIREFIGHTERS were called to a manor house on fire in Somersham.
The blaze happened at Somersham House, in Rectory Lane at 12.29pm on Thursday (September 24).
One fire crew from Chatteris, two from Huntingdon and one from Ramsey attended the scene.
A spokeswoman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service described the fire as “severe” and said it had started in a first floor bedroom.
You may also want to watch:
Les Yorke, incident commander said: “The bedroom is severely fire damaged and the rest of the property suffered smoke damage.
“Our main concern was that the fire would spread to the roof space of the house, but thanks to the firefighters at the scene we managed to stop this from happening.”
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 3 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 4 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 5 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 6 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 7 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 8 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 9 New secondary school for St Neots could be open by 2025
- 10 Fenstanton Youth pick up where they left off with win over Bluntisham Blasters
No one was in the home at the time.
The cause of the blaze is not yet known and a fire investigation is expected to take place at a later date.