FILM REVIEW: Rec 2 (Cert 18)
A LESSON I have learnt from my experience of watching [REC] 2 is to never truly expect one thing as you normally end up disappointed. I expected a re-hash of the first, with the same tension and brilliant build-ups to terrifying conclusions. We begin whe
A LESSON I have learnt from my experience of watching [REC] 2 is to never truly expect one thing as you normally end up disappointed.
I expected a re-hash of the first, with the same tension and brilliant build-ups to terrifying conclusions.
We begin where the first movie ended, as a group of people enter the house. All have cameras, all are capturing their findings and all have the character development of a lemon.
The genius of the first film is that it created a completely different kind of zombie movie, where each character was playing an integral part of some evil. We were there from the beginning and we were surviving with them.
You may also want to watch:
Sadly [REC] 2 takes much of that rollercoaster ride away. It uses multiple cameras and many of the shocks from the first are repeated - a glimpse of a zombie and then a crazy run at the camera.
The ending, like the first, could have cut a diamond with its raw intensity and it didn't fail to leave jaws dropped.
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 3 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 4 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 5 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 6 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 7 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 8 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 9 For sale: Period property in Somersham has been lovingly restored with particular attention to detail
- 10 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
None-the-less [REC] 2 yanked the hatchet up a few notches, continued the intriguing mythology of this terrifying place and delivered a sequel that doesn't quite taint the original.