FILM REVIEW: Rec 2 (Cert 18)
A LESSON I have learnt from my experience of watching [REC] 2 is to never truly expect one thing as you normally end up disappointed. I expected a re-hash of the first, with the same tension and brilliant build-ups to terrifying conclusions. We begin whe
A LESSON I have learnt from my experience of watching [REC] 2 is to never truly expect one thing as you normally end up disappointed.
I expected a re-hash of the first, with the same tension and brilliant build-ups to terrifying conclusions.
We begin where the first movie ended, as a group of people enter the house. All have cameras, all are capturing their findings and all have the character development of a lemon.
The genius of the first film is that it created a completely different kind of zombie movie, where each character was playing an integral part of some evil. We were there from the beginning and we were surviving with them.
You may also want to watch:
Sadly [REC] 2 takes much of that rollercoaster ride away. It uses multiple cameras and many of the shocks from the first are repeated - a glimpse of a zombie and then a crazy run at the camera.
The ending, like the first, could have cut a diamond with its raw intensity and it didn't fail to leave jaws dropped.
- 1 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 2 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 3 Delicious dessert shop 'Snix Snax' opens
- 4 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 6 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 7 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 8 Equipment worth £6,000 stolen from farm during overnight break-in
- 9 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed
- 10 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
None-the-less [REC] 2 yanked the hatchet up a few notches, continued the intriguing mythology of this terrifying place and delivered a sequel that doesn't quite taint the original.