FILM REVIEW: Rec 2 (Cert 18)
A LESSON I have learnt from my experience of watching [REC] 2 is to never truly expect one thing as you normally end up disappointed. I expected a re-hash of the first, with the same tension and brilliant build-ups to terrifying conclusions. We begin whe
A LESSON I have learnt from my experience of watching [REC] 2 is to never truly expect one thing as you normally end up disappointed.
I expected a re-hash of the first, with the same tension and brilliant build-ups to terrifying conclusions.
We begin where the first movie ended, as a group of people enter the house. All have cameras, all are capturing their findings and all have the character development of a lemon.
The genius of the first film is that it created a completely different kind of zombie movie, where each character was playing an integral part of some evil. We were there from the beginning and we were surviving with them.
You may also want to watch:
Sadly [REC] 2 takes much of that rollercoaster ride away. It uses multiple cameras and many of the shocks from the first are repeated - a glimpse of a zombie and then a crazy run at the camera.
The ending, like the first, could have cut a diamond with its raw intensity and it didn't fail to leave jaws dropped.
- 1 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 2 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 3 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 4 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 5 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 6 Entrepreneur and family businessman Philip Lalor has died
- 7 St Neots entrepreneur to host 24-hour ‘Speak Up’ event
- 8 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 9 Covid cases highest in Hunts since pandemic began, new figures reveal
- 10 Fire service set to step in with vaccine roll-out
None-the-less [REC] 2 yanked the hatchet up a few notches, continued the intriguing mythology of this terrifying place and delivered a sequel that doesn't quite taint the original.