Fete to take place in St Neots to raise money for orphans
AN ENTERPRISING pupil and teacher at a St Neots school are organising a charity fete to raise money for an orphanage in Kenya. Sixth former Laura Gowling at Longsands College is arranging a summer fete at the college on Saturday, July 11 from 1pm-4pm. M
AN ENTERPRISING pupil and teacher at a St Neots school are organising a charity fete to raise money for an orphanage in Kenya.
Sixth former Laura Gowling at Longsands College is arranging a summer fete at the college on Saturday, July 11 from 1pm-4pm.
Money raised will go towards funding projects at the Arap Moi Orphange in Nakuru.
The orphanage has strong links with the school. Former Longsands College teacher, Dan Glover and his wife, Catherine, a former St Ivo School teacher, now teach in Kenya and volunteer at Arap Moi.
Abby Burt, enterprise co-ordinator at Longsands College, who volunteered at the orphanage in May, said: "Arap Moi are in desperate need of funds to help them improve the lives of these orphans. We are aiming to make enough money to build a new bedroom block, as the children sleep either three to a bed or on the floor and a playground."
The fete will include games, a bouncy castle, stalls run by students, sports competitions, music and an art exhibition at the Creative Exchange in St Neots.
- 1 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 2 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 3 Little Gransden Air and Car Show to celebrate 30 years of fundraising for children in need
- 4 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 5 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 6 Huntingdonshire architecture practice shortlisted for national awards
- 7 Little Gransden woman in line for prestigious national award
- 8 War-time crash crew take on street names in Godmanchester
- 9 Huntingdon and Godmanchester celebrate 40-year twinning anniversary in Germany
- 10 St Neots man who put 'fear into the lives' of his victims is jailed
Food and refreshments will also be available.
Miss Burt, who is helping Laura organise the fete, said: "I am delighted that she has taken the initiative to do something to make a difference to these kids' lives.
"Please come along to support our students and help make a difference to the children of Arap Moi Orphanage."
Laura is also organising a seven-a-side football tournament and car boot sale at St Neots Football Club on Sunday, June 28. The winning team will receive tickets to see one-day of the Emirates Cup. Teams can register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
INFORMATION: If you would like to help on the day, donate a prize for the raffle or tombola or sponsor the event, contact Abby Burt on 01480 353535, or email ABurt@longsands.cambs.sch.uk. To find out more about Arap Moi Orphange, visit http://www.arapmoiorphanage.org