Fete to take place in St Neots to raise money for orphans
AN ENTERPRISING pupil and teacher at a St Neots school are organising a charity fete to raise money for an orphanage in Kenya. Sixth former Laura Gowling at Longsands College is arranging a summer fete at the college on Saturday, July 11 from 1pm-4pm. M
AN ENTERPRISING pupil and teacher at a St Neots school are organising a charity fete to raise money for an orphanage in Kenya.
Sixth former Laura Gowling at Longsands College is arranging a summer fete at the college on Saturday, July 11 from 1pm-4pm.
Money raised will go towards funding projects at the Arap Moi Orphange in Nakuru.
The orphanage has strong links with the school. Former Longsands College teacher, Dan Glover and his wife, Catherine, a former St Ivo School teacher, now teach in Kenya and volunteer at Arap Moi.
You may also want to watch:
Abby Burt, enterprise co-ordinator at Longsands College, who volunteered at the orphanage in May, said: "Arap Moi are in desperate need of funds to help them improve the lives of these orphans. We are aiming to make enough money to build a new bedroom block, as the children sleep either three to a bed or on the floor and a playground."
The fete will include games, a bouncy castle, stalls run by students, sports competitions, music and an art exhibition at the Creative Exchange in St Neots.
- 1 Delays in Hartford due to crash between cyclist and motorist
- 2 Parking spaces so narrow that driver had to climb out the boot!
- 3 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 4 Have you seen Stevie the horse?
- 5 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 6 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 7 Historic St Ives former grammar school site set for houses after £1m sale
- 8 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 9 Petition launched to save school transport for special needs schools
- 10 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
Food and refreshments will also be available.
Miss Burt, who is helping Laura organise the fete, said: "I am delighted that she has taken the initiative to do something to make a difference to these kids' lives.
"Please come along to support our students and help make a difference to the children of Arap Moi Orphanage."
Laura is also organising a seven-a-side football tournament and car boot sale at St Neots Football Club on Sunday, June 28. The winning team will receive tickets to see one-day of the Emirates Cup. Teams can register by emailing email@example.com
INFORMATION: If you would like to help on the day, donate a prize for the raffle or tombola or sponsor the event, contact Abby Burt on 01480 353535, or email ABurt@longsands.cambs.sch.uk. To find out more about Arap Moi Orphange, visit http://www.arapmoiorphanage.org