Fatal fall lorry driver had been adjusting his load
A HEALTH and safety investigation looks set to be launched after a lorry driver fell from a flyover onto a busy St Neots carriageway and died. Motorists called police just before 10am on Monday (April 20) after seeing a man fall from the flyover near Wyb
A HEALTH and safety investigation looks set to be launched after a lorry driver fell from a flyover onto a busy St Neots carriageway and died.
Motorists called police just before 10am on Monday (April 20) after seeing a man fall from the flyover near Wyboston Lakes onto the A1 southbound at Eaton Socon.
It is believed the driver had stopped on the flyover and got out of his vehicle to check it and then fallen onto the carriageway below.
The man, who has not yet been formally identified, suffered massive head and chest injuries and died at the scene.
Inspectors from the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) have been carrying out checks at the site and an investigation is expected to be launched soon.
A HSE spokesman said: "HSE is working with the police and two inspectors are visiting the site."
- 1 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 2 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 6 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 7 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 8 House set alight in Brampton
- 9 Man who assaulted police officer claimed it was 'black magic'
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
The flyover and one lane of the A1 southbound at the Eaton Socon roundabout were closed until 12.30pm on Monday (April 20).
This story will be updated with more information on Tuesday (April 21).
INFORMATION: Anyone with information is asked to contact Bedfordshire road policing unit on 01234 841212.