Farmer warned over noxious fire
A FARMER is set to be issued with an official warning after a bonfire on his land caused noxious substances to be released into the air. The incident happened at Brookfield Farm, near Huntingdon s Marriott Hotel, at about 2pm on Saturday afternoon. The fi
A FARMER is set to be issued with an official warning after a bonfire on his land caused noxious substances to be released into the air.
The incident happened at Brookfield Farm, near Huntingdon's Marriott Hotel, at about 2pm on Saturday afternoon.
The fire service was called to the scene after members of the public reported feeling unwell.
A total of five fire appliances were called to the scene, including a specialist hazardous substances unit, and extinguished the bonfire.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the Environment Agency said its officers had been called to the farm to investigate by the fire brigade.
The spokesman said: "The majority of the bonfire was made up of green waste and grain, which farmers are permitted to burn.
- 1 Slepe Hall Hotel in St Ives has new owners
- 2 Mother pleads for housing 'electrical checks' after losing children in fire
- 3 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct
- 4 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 5 Men who threatened shop workers with an axe are jailed
- 6 St Neots East seat announced after nail-biting three recounts
- 7 Who is in the running for police and crime commissioner in Cambs
- 8 Cambs police officer saves life of man who overdosed in park
- 9 Pretty town with lots of independent shops
- 10 St Neots has elected its new mayor and deputy mayor
"However, it seems that empty bags of fertiliser were also on the fire - and these are not permitted."
It is understood that staff at the Marriott Hotel were informed of the incident but no evacuation was ordered. The Marriott did not wish to comment.
The farm's owner, Harry Raby, who is a member of The Stukeleys Parish Council, declined to comment pending receiving communication from the Environment Agency.