Family re-housed after fire damages home
A FAMILY has had to be re-homed after a tumble dryer caught on fire. Firefighters from St Ives and Huntingdon were alerted to the blaze in Tudor Court, Godmanchester, on Wednesday at about 11.25am. The residents had been out at the time but, although cr
A FAMILY has had to be re-homed after a tumble dryer caught on fire.
Firefighters from St Ives and Huntingdon were alerted to the blaze in Tudor Court, Godmanchester, on Wednesday at about 11.25am.
The residents had been out at the time but, although crews managed to contain the fire to the tumble dryer and utility room, the whole house was said to have been left badly smoke-damaged and the occupants have had to be re-homed.
Four dogs escaped from the house uninjured, but two guinea pigs died in the fire, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in the tumble dryer.
You may also want to watch:
Firefighter Martin Ockenden, who attended the blaze, said: "Crews were alerted to the fire by an alarm in the house and luckily a neighbour had a spare key so crews could gain access. It could have been a lot worse."
INFORMATION: Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service offers free home fire safety checks and fits smoke alarms free. To find out more, visit your nearest fire station.
- 1 Seven arrested after £70k-worth of bicycles stolen
- 2 St Ives beloved market returns to town centre
- 3 Fundraising day at St Neots pub
- 4 Village job club providing vital service
- 5 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 6 What are the outstanding primary schools in Huntingdonshire?
- 7 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 8 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 9 New programme of events for Commemoration Hall
- 10 Benefits cut will leave Hunts families 'in debt', warns charity