Families coping in violent times
HUNTINGDON was a dangerous and violent place in 1070, according to a new book. Divided Loyalties, has been written for children by Buckden author Linda Upham. The book is set during fighting between the Saxons and the Normans and the story centres on two
HUNTINGDON was a dangerous and violent place in 1070, according to a new book.
Divided Loyalties, has been written for children by Buckden author Linda Upham.
The book is set during fighting between the Saxons and the Normans and the story centres on two families, one Norman and one Saxon, who try to make peace and form an alliance through marriage.
The prospective bride, Neva, the Saxon heroine of the story, betrothed at 11, is reluctant to go through with the marriage to a Norman and we follow the story through her perspective.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Upham, a historian and a former manager of additional educational needs for Huntingdonshire, who has a grown-up son and daughter, said: "I started writing when my own children were young and I couldn't find the sort of historical fiction books for them that I was looking for.
"The morals and message of the story also reflect today's problems of immigrant communities and social upheaval and includes the problem of an arranged marriage."
- 1 Delays in Hartford due to crash between cyclist and motorist
- 2 Parking spaces so narrow that driver had to climb out the boot!
- 3 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 4 Have you seen Stevie the horse?
- 5 ‘Enough is enough’ says MP at the scene of drink drive crash
- 6 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 7 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 8 Petition launched to save school transport for special needs schools
- 9 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 10 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
This is her second book. The first The Bronze Dagger, set in Lincolnshire in AD60, was published by Lutterworth Press.
Divided Loyalties is published by AuthorsOnLine, the on-line publisher based in Gamlingay.
INFORMATION: The Bronze Dagger can be ordered on Amazon. Divided Loyalties, recommended price, £8.95 can be ordered from www.authorsonline.co.uk