Families coping in violent times
HUNTINGDON was a dangerous and violent place in 1070, according to a new book. Divided Loyalties, has been written for children by Buckden author Linda Upham. The book is set during fighting between the Saxons and the Normans and the story centres on two
HUNTINGDON was a dangerous and violent place in 1070, according to a new book.
Divided Loyalties, has been written for children by Buckden author Linda Upham.
The book is set during fighting between the Saxons and the Normans and the story centres on two families, one Norman and one Saxon, who try to make peace and form an alliance through marriage.
The prospective bride, Neva, the Saxon heroine of the story, betrothed at 11, is reluctant to go through with the marriage to a Norman and we follow the story through her perspective.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Upham, a historian and a former manager of additional educational needs for Huntingdonshire, who has a grown-up son and daughter, said: "I started writing when my own children were young and I couldn't find the sort of historical fiction books for them that I was looking for.
"The morals and message of the story also reflect today's problems of immigrant communities and social upheaval and includes the problem of an arranged marriage."
- 1 New garden village on outskirts of St Neots will bring 10,000 homes
- 2 Police move in to close house after reports of anti-social behaviour
- 3 Notice served to remove travellers from school site
- 4 Man named following fatal collision near Bluntisham
- 5 Jail for man who stole more than £25,000 from company
- 6 Mum's donation to thank 'incredible' midwives and maternity staff
- 7 Check out our photo gallery of cute family pets
- 8 Vaccine centres offering earlier second dose AstraZeneca
- 9 Almost 100 'sexual and violent crimes' recorded in two of our towns in one month
- 10 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
This is her second book. The first The Bronze Dagger, set in Lincolnshire in AD60, was published by Lutterworth Press.
Divided Loyalties is published by AuthorsOnLine, the on-line publisher based in Gamlingay.
INFORMATION: The Bronze Dagger can be ordered on Amazon. Divided Loyalties, recommended price, £8.95 can be ordered from www.authorsonline.co.uk