Families coping in violent times
HUNTINGDON was a dangerous and violent place in 1070, according to a new book. Divided Loyalties, has been written for children by Buckden author Linda Upham. The book is set during fighting between the Saxons and the Normans and the story centres on two
HUNTINGDON was a dangerous and violent place in 1070, according to a new book.
Divided Loyalties, has been written for children by Buckden author Linda Upham.
The book is set during fighting between the Saxons and the Normans and the story centres on two families, one Norman and one Saxon, who try to make peace and form an alliance through marriage.
The prospective bride, Neva, the Saxon heroine of the story, betrothed at 11, is reluctant to go through with the marriage to a Norman and we follow the story through her perspective.
Mrs Upham, a historian and a former manager of additional educational needs for Huntingdonshire, who has a grown-up son and daughter, said: "I started writing when my own children were young and I couldn't find the sort of historical fiction books for them that I was looking for.
"The morals and message of the story also reflect today's problems of immigrant communities and social upheaval and includes the problem of an arranged marriage."
- 1 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 2 St Neots man who put 'fear into the lives' of his victims is jailed
- 3 John Caldwell names as new president of rotary club
- 4 Jail for St Neots man described as 'exceptionally dangerous'
- 5 Man sentenced after DNA found on drugs in a Huntingdon home
- 6 Huntingdon and Godmanchester celebrate 40-year twinning anniversary in Germany
- 7 B1514 Brampton Road closure extended for Saturday
- 8 Public advised to "use water wisely" after driest July since 1935
- 9 Editor Debbie Davies writes about her experience in Soham 20 years ago
- 10 Rotary club donates more than £1,100 to police boxing club
This is her second book. The first The Bronze Dagger, set in Lincolnshire in AD60, was published by Lutterworth Press.
Divided Loyalties is published by AuthorsOnLine, the on-line publisher based in Gamlingay.
INFORMATION: The Bronze Dagger can be ordered on Amazon. Divided Loyalties, recommended price, £8.95 can be ordered from www.authorsonline.co.uk