Fair Trade town
CONGRATULATIONS to the district council for adopting a Fair Trade policy for provision of refreshments at council meetings. With the council already setting a good example in areas such as recycling, it is to councillors credit that they have adopted a m
CONGRATULATIONS to the district council for adopting a Fair Trade policy for provision of refreshments at council meetings.
With the council already setting a good example in areas such as recycling, it is to councillors' credit that they have adopted a measure that affects the sustainability and welfare of other communities internationally.
I am part of a group that has been recently formed to seek 'Fair Trade Town' status for Huntingdon.
As well as helping farmers and other producers get a fair price for their goods, Fair Trade Town status has local spin-offs in terms of enhanced retail profiles and tourist potential.
You may also want to watch:
Fortunately, we are not starting from scratch: several local supermarkets sell a range of Fair Trade produce, coffee shops such as Kendals sell Fair Trade products, businesses such as Luminus use Fair Trade refreshments for their meetings, and a number of local churches are introducing Fair Trade policies.
With the addition of a range of retailers, restaurants, small businesses, schools and, crucially, the town council, we hope that it will be possible to secure Fair Trade Town status during 2008.
- 1 St Neots rapist jailed for 11 years
- 2 Suspected firearm and drugs found in raid on Huntingdon house
- 3 New Post Office branch opens in St Neots
- 4 'Unprecedented crisis’ over school bus drivers
- 5 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 6 Eric Morecambe 'amused guests' when his family owned this St Ives hotel
- 7 Motorists urged not to 'panic buy' fuel as queues cause chaos across Hunts
- 8 Old Mill upgrade at Godmanchester is suspended through lack of materials
- 9 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
- 10 Brampton butchers win awards for delicious pies and sausages
The district council has set a great example that hopefully others will follow shortly.
For further details please see: www.fairtrade.org.uk/get_involved_fairtrade_towns.htm
GRAHAM HALDANE, Huntingdonshire Community Church, High Street, Huntingdon