Extending BST will not work
I REALLY am alarmed at the proposals to extend British Summer Time. It is typical of modern legislation, first mentioned a year or so ago: it creeps in by stealth and is necessary, we are told, to bring us in line with the rest of Europe – the Europe that is about to break up.
We have traded with Europe for centuries with no disadvantage, and today overseas traders are used to world markets and world time zones. Changing our time will have absolutely no effect.
Then we are told that tourism will benefit. I fail to understand why. The day length will remain the same, but winter visitors – are there really that many – will have to remain in bed an hour longer.
Farmers are in favour? I don’t think so. Show me a farmer who is happy to wait until 9 in the morning before beginning to harvest winter vegetables or tending his livestock or crops. As a retired farmer, I can confirm that my staff always preferred to start early and be home in the early evening with their family.
Most worrying, though, apart from the amazing claims of savings amounting to millions a year with no explanation, is the suggestion that lives will be saved. How?
You may also want to watch:
In my village the narrow busy lane to our school is always shady and damp: any frost or snow often remains for days. Will the proponents of this craziness please tell me how, when children throughout the UK are walking to school in the dark (yes they will be), they are not more at risk.
Please put a stop to this madness: we’ve tried it before and it did not work then, and it will not work now.
- 1 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 2 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 3 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 4 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 5 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 6 Stuie Delf launches new fundraising campaign in memory of his brother
- 7 Letter of the Week: 'Could we sue stores who don't enforce mask wearing'?
- 8 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
ROGER T PINNER