Ex-councillor’s ‘last word’
THIS is my final comment on what is now becoming old, somewhat dull news. I also will not be bothering to read any more comments from people who are becoming somewhat offensive.
I did not read the letter I am responding to (The Hunts Post, June 27) but was told of its content. I will make sure this doesn’t happen again.
First, I did investigate the responsibilities, protocols and workload of being a councillor. I am probably the most responsible person I know and take this sort of thing extremely seriously. This is why I could not go against my principles on this matter.
Unfortunately, it did not occur to me to ask (when we had a male mayor and we did not know who would be the next mayor) what a female mayor would be addressed as. I do not believe it would have occurred to anyone to investigate such a ridiculous subject.
I regret that an election has been called: whoever has called an election is actually causing this to cost money.
You may also want to watch:
If a new councillor had been co-opted, it would not have cost anything. I see little point in an election at this time when the Independents have such a huge majority on the council: it will not change anything.
Lastly, I would ask the letter-writer to swear in front of many people that he would be happy to call a male mayor ‘Mrs Mayor’. If he would, then I eat my words and apologise, but I don’t believe he would.
- 1 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 2 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 3 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 4 Hinchingbrooke paediatrician’s relief after getting Covid-19 vaccine
- 5 HSBC is to close its branch in Huntingdon, it has been announced
- 6 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 7 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 8 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 9 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 10 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
Luckily we do still live in a sort of free country, and I am allowed to stick to my principles without redress.