Ed collects award
ACCEPTANCE SPEECH: A teenage actor, whose commitment to his art extended to sandwich-making for his cast, has received a new award in memory of a local performer. St Peter s School, Huntingdon, student Edward Welsh collected The Russell Heffer Award for o
ACCEPTANCE SPEECH: A teenage actor, whose commitment to his art extended to sandwich-making for his cast, has received a new award in memory of a local performer.
St Peter's School, Huntingdon, student Edward Welsh collected The Russell Heffer Award for outstanding individual contribution, in front of fellow members of the St Ives Youth Theatre, at the company's annual showcase.
It is the first time the prize has been presented, in memory of one of the theatre's founders, Russell Heffer, who died suddenly last March. His family asked for the award to be given to an all-rounder, not simply a stage star, to remember Mr Heffer who was a musician, writer and performer, with a passion for young people and the performing arts.
Edward, 18, who lives in Huntingdon, was presented the award by Sally Heffer, Russell's widow.
You may also want to watch:
Artistic director Jonathan Salt said: "His commitment is consistent and 100 per cent. Whether performing, working backstage, or helping and supporting younger members of the group. He even got up every morning to make sandwiches for everyone in his caravan while performing at the Edinburgh Fringe last summer."
The Year 13 student plans to continue theatre studies and drama in higher education.
- 1 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 2 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 3 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 4 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 5 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 6 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 7 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 8 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 9 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 10 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
INFORMATION: Forthcoming productions of the St Ives Youth Theatre include Fairytaleheart and Sparkleshark, two one-act plays by nationally acclaimed writer, Philip Ridley, next month and The Bubble, a musical based on the 1720 collapse of the South Sea Corporation, to be performed in July.