Ed collects award
ACCEPTANCE SPEECH: A teenage actor, whose commitment to his art extended to sandwich-making for his cast, has received a new award in memory of a local performer. St Peter s School, Huntingdon, student Edward Welsh collected The Russell Heffer Award for o
ACCEPTANCE SPEECH: A teenage actor, whose commitment to his art extended to sandwich-making for his cast, has received a new award in memory of a local performer.
St Peter's School, Huntingdon, student Edward Welsh collected The Russell Heffer Award for outstanding individual contribution, in front of fellow members of the St Ives Youth Theatre, at the company's annual showcase.
It is the first time the prize has been presented, in memory of one of the theatre's founders, Russell Heffer, who died suddenly last March. His family asked for the award to be given to an all-rounder, not simply a stage star, to remember Mr Heffer who was a musician, writer and performer, with a passion for young people and the performing arts.
Edward, 18, who lives in Huntingdon, was presented the award by Sally Heffer, Russell's widow.
Artistic director Jonathan Salt said: "His commitment is consistent and 100 per cent. Whether performing, working backstage, or helping and supporting younger members of the group. He even got up every morning to make sandwiches for everyone in his caravan while performing at the Edinburgh Fringe last summer."
The Year 13 student plans to continue theatre studies and drama in higher education.
- 1 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 2 Karl Brockett writes about the history of St Ives
- 3 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit
- 4 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 5 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 6 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 7 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 8 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 9 Huge spike in safety complaints due to 'bedroom sellers' during pandemic
- 10 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
INFORMATION: Forthcoming productions of the St Ives Youth Theatre include Fairytaleheart and Sparkleshark, two one-act plays by nationally acclaimed writer, Philip Ridley, next month and The Bubble, a musical based on the 1720 collapse of the South Sea Corporation, to be performed in July.