Eaton Socon Scouts pick up a penny - 30,000 of them!
SCOUTS have saluted the shoppers of Eaton Socon after they helped provide them with a �300 boost.
Anglia Co-operative’s foodstore in Old Great North Road, Eaton Socon, raised the money for the 1st Eaton Socon Scout Group with a six-week Pick Up A Penny campaign.
A cheque was received by Group Scout Leader Chris Buss, who revealed that the store had helped provide thousands of pounds for the group over the past 10 years.
He said: “It’s a superb gesture. The store is actually a backbone of our fundraising and has probably helped the group raise in the region of �9,000 or �10,000 over the last 10-12 years when we do bag packing there at Christmas.
“Without that we just wouldn’t be able to do what we do.”
Store manager Mick Gough said: “We gave 1p for every till receipt handed in by our customers during the campaign and collected almost 30,000! As with the bag-packing our customers have demonstrated huge support for an organisation providing so much for our youngsters.”
The latest donation will help to furnish a new store and office at the group’s headquarters in Mill Hill Road, Eaton Ford.
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 3 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 4 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 5 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 6 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 7 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 8 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 9 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 10 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
The group has around 50 members aged between six and 14 and provides sessions for beavers (Tuesdays), cubs (Mondays) and scouts (Wednesdays) each week, plus activities like camps.
Mr Buss added: “We could provide activities for more local children if we could recruit more leaders.
“If you’re an adult and can give us time, we’ll provide free training – please get in touch.”
INFORMATION: If you can help call 0845 226 5607 or e-mail email@example.com.
nPictured are: Anglia Co-operative Eaton Socon foodstore community champion Katie Paton holding the �300 cheque with Chris Buss, Beaver leader Jan Kitt and youngsters from the group.