Drivers still flouting mobile laws
MORE than 1,200 people in Cambridgeshire have been caught using a mobile phone while driving since the change in law in February. Police have so far issued 1,234 tickets to drivers who have used a mobile phone while driving, and a number of tickets are st
MORE than 1,200 people in Cambridgeshire have been caught using a mobile phone while driving since the change in law in February.
Police have so far issued 1,234 tickets to drivers who have used a mobile phone while driving, and a number of tickets are still going being processed.
Pc Tony Barrios, casualty reduction officer, said: "It is disappointing to see that the change in law has not discouraged drivers from using a mobile phone while driving.
"Last year, over 3,000 people were caught using a phone while driving and it looks like we are going to have a similar number of people caught this year.
You may also want to watch:
"It only takes a few seconds distraction from a mobile phone to cause an accident with fatal consequences.
"Cambridgeshire Constabulary take this offence extremely seriously and will continue our robust enforcement of the law.
- 1 Huntingdon home to one of the most 'luxurious' breakfasts in the UK
- 2 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 3 Giant elephant and free rides at Huntingdon Fun Day
- 4 Sewer network improvements in £600k investment for St Neots
- 5 Widow, 80, cleans blocked drain in Buckden after 'several floods'
- 6 Group charged in connection with Rutland Cycling burglary
- 7 Pigeons still roosting on old A14 bridge despite preventative mesh
- 8 Alconbury to benefit from £200,000 flood protection funding
- 9 Four dogs rescued after being abandoned on A14
- 10 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020
"The roads can be dangerous place when laws are not adhered to. It is vital that people comply with the law if we are to reduce fatalities and casualties on the roads."
The law changed on February 27, meaning that drivers now face a £60 fine and three points on their licence for using a mobile whilst driving.