Driver killed five days after cyclist dies on same road
TWO people have died within five days on the same stretch of road in St Ives. Yesterday (Tuesday), a young man was killed on the A1123 Houghton Road, about a quarter of a mile from where a young woman cyclist was killed on Friday. The dead man is believed
TWO people have died within five days on the same stretch of road in St Ives.
Yesterday (Tuesday), a young man was killed on the A1123 Houghton Road, about a quarter of a mile from where a young woman cyclist was killed on Friday.
The dead man is believed to be in his late 20s or early 30s. His car left the road after a double bend and skidded across the road into trees at about 12.30pm.
Police said yesterday that his next of kin had not been informed and his name had not been released as The Hunts Post went to press.
Junctions joining the A1123 were closed, including St Ives Road, Mere Way, Sawtry Way and Home Farm Road, Houghton, and diversions were set up.
On Friday, Melanie Burton, 33, a veterinary nurse from St Ives, died after she was involved in a collision with a lorry in Houghton Road, St Ives.
- 1 New parklet opens in St Ives
- 2 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 3 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 4 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 5 Ancient relics from Iron Age discovered during road upgrade
- 6 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 7 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Tories defend record on council owned This Land
- 10 Brampton Park golfers swing into action to raise money for hospice
Ms Burton was cycling to work in Wyton.
Her partner, Malcolm Plant, had to break the terrible news to Melanie's parents.
Mr Plant said: "It's like half of me has gone. She was a big part of me - she was everything."
Ms Burton's father Chas said she was "a very special girl".