Driver killed five days after cyclist dies on same road
TWO people have died within five days on the same stretch of road in St Ives. Yesterday (Tuesday), a young man was killed on the A1123 Houghton Road, about a quarter of a mile from where a young woman cyclist was killed on Friday. The dead man is believed
TWO people have died within five days on the same stretch of road in St Ives.
Yesterday (Tuesday), a young man was killed on the A1123 Houghton Road, about a quarter of a mile from where a young woman cyclist was killed on Friday.
The dead man is believed to be in his late 20s or early 30s. His car left the road after a double bend and skidded across the road into trees at about 12.30pm.
Police said yesterday that his next of kin had not been informed and his name had not been released as The Hunts Post went to press.
You may also want to watch:
Junctions joining the A1123 were closed, including St Ives Road, Mere Way, Sawtry Way and Home Farm Road, Houghton, and diversions were set up.
On Friday, Melanie Burton, 33, a veterinary nurse from St Ives, died after she was involved in a collision with a lorry in Houghton Road, St Ives.
- 1 St Neots rapist jailed for 11 years
- 2 Suspected firearm and drugs found in raid on Huntingdon house
- 3 New Post Office branch opens in St Neots
- 4 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 5 'Unprecedented crisis’ over school bus drivers
- 6 Motorists urged not to 'panic buy' fuel as queues cause chaos across Hunts
- 7 Eric Morecambe 'amused guests' when his family owned this St Ives hotel
- 8 Old Mill upgrade at Godmanchester is suspended through lack of materials
- 9 Brampton butchers win awards for delicious pies and sausages
- 10 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
Ms Burton was cycling to work in Wyton.
Her partner, Malcolm Plant, had to break the terrible news to Melanie's parents.
Mr Plant said: "It's like half of me has gone. She was a big part of me - she was everything."
Ms Burton's father Chas said she was "a very special girl".