Driver dies in Ramsey after crashing into building
A MALE driver has died after he crashed his car into a building in Ramsey.The accident took place just after 10pm last night (Thursday 10) when a black Vauxhall Corsa veered off the B1040 and crashed into the derelict building. Firefighters released the driver f
A MALE driver has died after he crashed his car into a building in Ramsey.
The accident took place just after 10pm last night (Thursday 10) when a black Vauxhall Corsa veered off the B1040 and crashed into the derelict building.
Firefighters released the driver from the vehicle shortly after 10.15pm, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. The car was on fire when the emergency services arrived.
The crash happened on St Mary's Road, close to Field Road, and as of 11.15am this morning (Friday) the road remained closed as structural engineers assessed the damage to the property, which police said may be in danger of collapse.
An eyewitness, who arrived on scene after the accident, told The Hunts Post: "When I got there the car was on fire. People were running around it trying to get the driver out and asking for a fire extinguisher.
"I called the police but by the time they got there the fire was already inside of the car."
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
Pc John Blood, who is investigating said: "I would like to hear from anyone who was in the area at around 10pm last night and witnesses this collision. Any information no matter how small could prove invaluable in determining what happened."
INFORMATION: Anyone with information is asked to contact PC Blood at the road policing unit on 0845 4564564.