THE Hunts Post (March 21) enlightened all taxpayers regarding the degree of avarice demonstrated by Conservative members of HDC, in relation to the expenses allowance of 54.4p per mile depending upon the size of car engine in preference to a flat rate of
THE Hunts Post (March 21) enlightened all taxpayers regarding the degree of avarice demonstrated by Conservative members of HDC, in relation to the expenses allowance of 54.4p per mile depending upon the size of car engine in preference to a flat rate of 40p per mile - or even less if the Liberal Democrat members had been supported.
The fact is that even a flat rate of 40p per mile would have saved the taxpayer £20,000.
As a Sawtry taxpayer and senior citizen, I was even more incensed by the comments made by John Garner regarding his reluctance to "spoil the fun" of the Conservatives by helping to reduce the rate per mile, and simultaneously admitting that the only reason he would be claiming 40p was to avoid having to make out a tax return.
The very fact that this man had the nerve and audacity to make such a public declaration, when the alternative could have been a tax reduction of £20,000, I would call for an immediate check on his state of mind to see whether he should continue in local politics.
You may also want to watch:
G D MORGAN, Bramble End, Sawtry
- 1 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 2 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 3 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 4 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 10 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed