CAMBRIDGESHIRE police said they had been left frustrated by the number of drivers caught driving under the influence of drink and drugs over the Christmas period. A total of 201 people were arrested for drinking and driving during the Stay safe – stay so
CAMBRIDGESHIRE police said they had been left frustrated by the number of drivers caught driving under the influence of drink and drugs over the Christmas period.
A total of 201 people were arrested for drinking and driving during the "Stay safe - stay sober" campaign, which ran for a month from December 1. The previous year, 197 people were arrested during the same period.
Pc Mick McCready, casualty reduction officer for the force, said: "It is extremely frustrating that some people still do not respect the law and continue to drive under the influence.
"Each time someone gets behind the wheel and drives under the influence, they are putting not only themselves at risk but also the lives of others."
You may also want to watch:
The campaign saw stop-checks across the county with officers carrying out breath tests and field impairment tests to check whether drivers were under the influence of drugs. Pc McCready said: "I am disappointed that the number of people driving under the influence has remained high, and it shows that there are still a number of drivers who think it is acceptable.
"Cambridgeshire Constabulary is committed to reducing the number of drink-drivers, and we will do all we can to ensure that those over the limit or under the influence of drugs are caught and dealt with appropriately.
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 4 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 5 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
- 6 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Police warning after spate of thefts from cars in Warboys
- 10 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct