Dread of A14 trucks in Cambs
I BEGAN using the A14 as a driver in February this year for the first time. This experience has been a real eye-opener for me. I had read about the troubles people had had with lorries and suggestions to ban them from overtaking, but couldn t really see w
I BEGAN using the A14 as a driver in February this year for the first time. This experience has been a real eye-opener for me.
I had read about the troubles people had had with lorries and suggestions to ban them from overtaking, but couldn't really see why this would cause such a huge problem. Surely banning lorries from overtaking could not improve safety and congestion.
I now feel I was very wrong in my previous assumptions, based on the negative experiences I have had in my short time on the road.
The main problem is the congestion they cause, blocking an otherwise clear lane because they cannot get up the speed to get past vehicles in the inside lane - mostly they appear to be trying to overtake other lorries with neither wanting to let the other in front.
You may also want to watch:
I have found myself on one occasion completely blocked in by lorries all around me - a very nerve-racking experience for a new driver.
I have had lorries indicate and then immediately pull out when I have been beside them with nowhere else to go, causing me suddenly to have to slam on the brakes and hope the vehicle behind doesn't smash into me. On one occasion I missed hitting the offending vehicle literally by inches.
- 1 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 2 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 3 Harrowing video warning from seriously ill 20-year-old who survived Covid
- 4 Here's your 'thank you' messages for school staff
- 5 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 6 First patients in St Ives to receive Covid-19 vaccination
- 7 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 8 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
There appear to be three reasons for their doing this: first, they have decided that, because they are bigger, they have the right to pull out wherever they want to. Alternatively, they may have a mistaken perception of the length of their vehicle, thinking they can get into a space much smaller than they need. The third and scariest of all seems to be that they don't look at all. I really hope this is not the case.
I am not saying I am a great driver, and I know that I have much to learn still, but I have been amazed by the lack of driving ability I have seen on some occasions.
It may be because I am a new driver and need to gain more confidence on the road, but these experiences have left me anxious and dreading my commute.