Download of the Week: SCREWD: I.S.D.O. DEMO
A decade ago, in the middle of the Britpop explosion, the nation was awash with bands desperate to resemble Oasis. It must have been hard to imagine then that in time, their trademark sounds would be drawn upon by bands with freshness – as done by four
A decade ago, in the middle of the Britpop explosion, the nation was awash with bands desperate to resemble Oasis.
It must have been hard to imagine then that in time, their trademark sounds would be drawn upon by bands with freshness - as done by four-piece Screwd.
Listening to Screwd it's clear that the dramatic lead guitar of Noel Gallagher is an important inspiration. Guitar often weaves through entire tracks with as much presence as some of John Squire's most elaborate recordings.
However, although happy to recommend the demo as a whole, it is first track Intro that stands out most for me. The Noel-esqe guitar is in abundance, but Liam is nowhere to be heard -the feel of the track is relaxed and sounds much better for it.
The lyrics are bitter, and where many bands would have jumped at the chance to spit and growl the words out with strained vitriol - here is a confident, calmer delivery that imparts much more emotion.
Days and Nights, with its simple lyrics, gently paced melody and warm backing vocals is another showcase for great songwriting. It's perhaps deceptively simple and very addictive indeed.
- 1 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Roman crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 5 Famous Actor Alan Davies has donated a caravan to Camp Beagle
- 6 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 7 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 8 Wood Farm has become 'rodent heaven' says Anne Marie
- 9 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 10 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
Importantly their British rock moments often give way to some chilled-out Red Hot Chilli Peppers calm akin to Scar Tissue.
Although the Screwd have recently recorded new material the whole of I.S.D.O. is still available on their website. Catch them live at The Portland Arms in Cambridge on Monday, February 13. Listen at www.screwdup.co.uk