Doubts over Norma Major's charity cricket match
A FIXTURE of the Huntingdonshire social calendar could be cancelled. Dame Norma Major s annual cricket match in aid of Mencap has been an annual fixture at Alconbury Cricket Club since the 1980s. Rumours have surfaced that the charity fixture may not take
A FIXTURE of the Huntingdonshire social calendar could be cancelled.
Dame Norma Major's annual cricket match in aid of Mencap has been an annual fixture at Alconbury Cricket Club since the 1980s.
Rumours have surfaced that the charity fixture may not take place this year after the Women's Institute and Alconbury Parish Council said they had heard the event, traditionally held in June, was to be cancelled.
Event organiser Laurence Rickard denied that the event had been cancelled and said discussions were still under way.
You may also want to watch:
"Any suggestions it has definitely been cancelled are a bit premature," he said.
It is believed that the reason for the possible postponement was that building and development work at the sports and social club was blocking the preferred date.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Seven of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 3 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 4 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 5 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 6 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 7 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
- 8 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 9 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 10 Village Focus: Silver coins among ancient finds in Hartford
It is understood there has been difficulty in finding a mutually convenient alternative for all parties.
Last year stars such as Marvin Atapattu, Rashid Latif and Henry Olonga graced the field at Alconbury for Lashings, while James Major and footballer Chris Sutton were among the Bunburys team facing the all-stars.