Don’t let this happen to you,’ says Marie
A WOMAN whose puppy accidentally turned on the cooker and started a blaze in her kitchen - because he was so excited at the prospect of a walk - has put out a warning to other dog owners. Marie Price said: It would have been so simple to prevent and it w
A WOMAN whose puppy accidentally turned on the cooker and started a blaze in her kitchen - because he was so excited at the prospect of a walk - has put out a warning to other dog owners.
Marie Price said: "It would have been so simple to prevent and it was so devastating, if only I had turned off the cooker at the wall, it would not have happened."
The 50-year-old had left a mini deep fat fryer containing oil on the cooker. The pan caught fire when her halogen hob was turned on by Humbug, her seven-month-old leaping puppy.
She said: "I bought a deep fat fryer because I was afraid of the risks of having a chip pan. I want to say to people: 'Don't let this happen to you' I would hate this to happen to anyone else."
As reported by The Hunts Post last week, Mrs Price left her home in Brampton to take Humbug and her greyhound, Sadie, for a walk on Thursday, June 1 at about 5.20pm. She was away from the house for about three-quarters of an hour and came home to find the house alight.
"I went into the house twice, thinking I could put the fire out..That was very foolish of me, too. It was my neighbour who stopped me going back a third time and said we should call the fire brigade."
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 3 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 4 Sir John Major to answer questions at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 5 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 6 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 7 Garden railway raises money for 3 Pillars
- 8 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 9 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 10 A charity football match involving a mixed Polish and Ukrainian team aims to raise funds for Ukraine
Mrs Price said what hurt most was that she had lost photographs of her two sons, David, 21, and Lee, 24.
"There was a picture that I had painted of Lee when he was a schoolboy aged 11, when they still had blazers and ties at Hinchingbrooke School. I must have been in proud mother mode.
"I can stand the black ceiling and walls, but I am so upset that my pictures have gone."
Mrs Price said the fire had been so intense that her smoke alarm had melted.