Don’t let tax debt spiral
HOUSEHOLDERS who have not paid their Council Tax bills were hauled in front of the courts last week. One woman was sentenced to 42 days in prison for non-payment of the tax – and Huntingdonshire District Council is now urging householders not to bury thei
HOUSEHOLDERS who have not paid their Council Tax bills were hauled in front of the courts last week.
One woman was sentenced to 42 days in prison for non-payment of the tax - and Huntingdonshire District Council is now urging householders not to bury their heads in the sand when facing unpaid bills.
Last Wednesday, Emma Feetham, of Coneygear Court, Huntingdon, told magistrates that she should have paid her bills, but hadn't.
Ms Feetham was called to court after failing to pay £1,565 in Council Tax while living at Lucas Court in Huntingdon.
You may also want to watch:
Magistrates ordered that her jail term be suspended so long as she pays £50 per month to clear the debt. If a payment is missed, she will be sent to prison.
Last week HDC obtained nine arrest warrants for other people who had been due to appear in court regarding arrears, but failed to show up.
- 1 The Windmill pub is set to reopen after extensive refurbishment
- 2 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 3 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 4 Tudor history and famous Chinese Bridge in Godmanchester
- 5 Celebration of food and drink at town's first street food festival
- 6 Riley turns imagination into reality with best-selling adventure book
- 7 Paedophile foiled by undercover officer
- 8 Rainbow alliance set out their stall for Cambridgeshire
- 9 Do you have items of history for nostalgia group?
- 10 Godmanchester community pulled together throughout the pandemic
Warrants have been issued for the arrest of Rebecca Wallwein, of Ramsey Road, St Ives, Rosemary Hogan of Church Walk, Yaxley, Christine Harper of Flaxen Walk, Warboys, Brian Spickett of Great Whyte, Ramsey, Gerald Devin of Park Lane, Godmanchester, Diane Jinks, formerly of Owl End Walk, Yaxley, Brenda Vivash, formerly of Flaxen Walk, Warboys, Mark Surkitt, formerly of Duck Lane, St Neots and David Grasso, formerly of Newtown Road, Ramsey.
INFORMATION: Call HDC's Council Tax recovery team on 01480 388030.