Dog is snagged by discarded fish hook
A DISCARDED fish hook at Paxton Pits left a cocker spaniel in pain, and a family with an unexpected vet s bill. Buckden woman Angie Burrows had been walking her three-year-old daughter Megan and their dog Holly last week when the animal became distressed.
A DISCARDED fish hook at Paxton Pits left a cocker spaniel in pain, and a family with an unexpected vet's bill.
Buckden woman Angie Burrows had been walking her three-year-old daughter Megan and their dog Holly last week when the animal became distressed.
Ms Burrows, who is seven months pregnant, told The Hunts Post: "Holly had run ahead and left the path to go down to an area where the fishermen sit.
"When we caught up with her it was obvious she was in some pain and had a fish hook through her top lip with the weight still attached.
You may also want to watch:
"I was a long way from the car, I had my daughter with me and a dog in pain.
I didn't know what to do."
- 1 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 2 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 5 Fundraisers hit £400,000 milestone after month of charity challenges
- 6 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 7 Food business sponsors new kit for under-10s
- 8 Spuds in a bucket competition at the gardening club
- 9 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 10 Freed from custody, animal rights campaigner back at Camp Beagle
Luckily, a neighbour stopped to help Holly and removed the weight but the hook remained stuck and staff at the White House veterinary surgery in Eaton Socon had to sedate Holly.
Ms Burrows, 31, added: "There are some young fishermen at Paxton Pits and I don't think some think before they act."
Pat Knight, countryside services manager for HDC, said: "We urge fishermen to be careful when fishing in any of our parks and countryside spaces.
"We will continue to try to educate people during their visit to ensure the safety of the public and their pets."
Holly has since made a full recovery.