Dog-fouling justice begins to bite
SOUTH Cambridgeshire council has issued its first fixed penalty for dog fouling in the 10 years it has had powers to do so. Someone reported the unnamed dog owner to SCDC for failing to clear-up dog mess on Longstanton Sports and Social Club. The owner ad
SOUTH Cambridgeshire council has issued its first fixed penalty for dog fouling in the 10 years it has had powers to do so.
Someone reported the unnamed dog owner to SCDC for failing to clear-up dog mess on Longstanton Sports and Social Club. The owner admitted the offence and paid a £50 fine. He cited the lack of bins as the reason why he did not clear up after his dog.
In the same period, Huntingdonshire District Council has issued 32 fixed penalty notices.
Councillor Daphne Spink, housing and environmental health portfolio holder, said: "Whether there are bins nearby or not, it is always an owner's responsibility to dispose of dog mess safely.
"Dog mess has the potential to causes serious eye damage, even blindness, and in this case was in an area accessible to children."
The council's environmental health manager Paul Quigley said the authority had employed a dog warden until 2005 and had operated a policy of encouraging responsible pet ownership. This was the first time it had sufficient evidence to take to court if the fixed penalty had not been paid.
- 1 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 2 A lost wedding photo uncovers a heartbreaking story
- 3 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in village
- 4 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 5 Off duty nurse saves a man's life by performing CPR
- 6 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 7 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 8 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 9 More than 2,000 potholes need repairing in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
INFORMATION: To report suspected dog fouling in South Cambridgeshire, call 08450 450 063 or you can visit www.scambs.gov.uk/reportit - all information is in confidence. In Huntingdonshire, the answerphone number is 01480 388266.