Does anyone remember the Clarks of Houghton?
I AM trying to trace back my family, many of whom originated in the village of Houghton, where I have viewed the many graves belonging to the Clark family. I have some photos of the graves – I think the earliest one was dated 1815 and on this grave were J
I AM trying to trace back my family, many of whom originated in the village of Houghton, where I have viewed the many graves belonging to the Clark family.
I have some photos of the graves - I think the earliest one was dated 1815 and on this grave were John Clark - who I assumed was the head of the family and in there with him were Sarah, James, William and Mary.
The other grave was also a John Clark, October 1871, and in there with him is Hannah, his wife, who died in 1890.
I believe there may also have been a grave with Robert Clark, but they were so old and weather-worn that it was very hard to make out the writing. So there may have been others apart from these.
You may also want to watch:
My granddad was a William Walter Clark, who was born in Peckham, London, in 1894. So somewhere in between the latter John Clark and him someone must have moved from Houghton to London. I am guessing it was for work. He went on to have six sons, number four being my dad.
Sadly, none of the brothers is now alive, but there are quite a lot of us cousins now spread around the country.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 3 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 7 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
- 8 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
I hope this information will be useful to anyone who reads it, and I have my fingers crossed that someone will recognise my family and get in touch. Please e-mail email@example.com or write to me.
JILL BRADFORD (née Clark)
91 Greenfield Crescent
Brighton BN1 8HL