Does anyone remember the Clarks of Houghton?
I AM trying to trace back my family, many of whom originated in the village of Houghton, where I have viewed the many graves belonging to the Clark family. I have some photos of the graves – I think the earliest one was dated 1815 and on this grave were J
I AM trying to trace back my family, many of whom originated in the village of Houghton, where I have viewed the many graves belonging to the Clark family.
I have some photos of the graves - I think the earliest one was dated 1815 and on this grave were John Clark - who I assumed was the head of the family and in there with him were Sarah, James, William and Mary.
The other grave was also a John Clark, October 1871, and in there with him is Hannah, his wife, who died in 1890.
I believe there may also have been a grave with Robert Clark, but they were so old and weather-worn that it was very hard to make out the writing. So there may have been others apart from these.
My granddad was a William Walter Clark, who was born in Peckham, London, in 1894. So somewhere in between the latter John Clark and him someone must have moved from Houghton to London. I am guessing it was for work. He went on to have six sons, number four being my dad.
Sadly, none of the brothers is now alive, but there are quite a lot of us cousins now spread around the country.
- 1 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 2 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 3 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 6 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 9 Council chiefs left with 'no option' other than tax hike
- 10 Jury challenged to consider 'substantial body of evidence' pointing to Rikki's killer
I hope this information will be useful to anyone who reads it, and I have my fingers crossed that someone will recognise my family and get in touch. Please e-mail email@example.com or write to me.
JILL BRADFORD (née Clark)
91 Greenfield Crescent
Brighton BN1 8HL