Do-least option best for St Ives
HAVING carefully considered the proposals put forward by HDC for St Ives town centre improvements, I support the many and varied objections to Options 1 and 2 voiced by residents at the open meeting held on November 20. Furthermore, I object to the unwarr
HAVING carefully considered the proposals put forward by HDC for St Ives town centre improvements, I support the many and varied objections to Options 1 and 2 voiced by residents at the open meeting held on November 20.
Furthermore, I object to the unwarranted expenditure of £1million-plus, when Option 3, with minor amendments at a cost of approximately £50,000, is all that is necessary.
It was stated by the HDC representative at the outset that the pavement width is not acceptable for a 'modern' town centre. Well, St Ives isn't a 'modern' town centre, and that is its attraction to residents and visitors alike. In my experience, the pavements are perfectly adequate except when shopkeepers' and stallholders' displays encroach on them. The relevant authority should discourage this practice.
The proposed public open space in front of the church in Options 1 and 4 (the Piazza Plan) is ill conceived and unnecessary. There is already a perfectly adequate public open space, with trees, outside Budgens, on the sunny side of the square.
You may also want to watch:
I am opposed to the elimination of one loading bay in Bridge Street to make way for café tables and chairs, as essential traffic movements are difficult enough there already.
In no circumstances should buses be allowed to run through the town centre, on safety grounds.
- 1 St Neots rapist jailed for 11 years
- 2 Suspected firearm and drugs found in raid on Huntingdon house
- 3 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 4 Motorists urged not to 'panic buy' fuel as queues cause chaos across Hunts
- 5 New Post Office branch opens in St Neots
- 6 'Unprecedented crisis’ over school bus drivers
- 7 Eric Morecambe 'amused guests' when his family owned this St Ives hotel
- 8 Old Mill upgrade at Godmanchester is suspended through lack of materials
- 9 Brampton butchers win awards for delicious pies and sausages
- 10 Somersham teacher looks at how to make home learning 'meaningful'