Dissolve Parliament over MPs' expenses, says ex-PM's Huntingdon agent
FORMER Prime Minister Sir John Major s election agent Sir Peter Brown today called for The Queen to dissolve Parliament over MPs expenses and call an immediate General Election. Sir Peter, who has been a constituency agent for the Conservative Party for
FORMER Prime Minister Sir John Major's election agent Sir Peter Brown today called for The Queen to dissolve Parliament over MPs' expenses and call an immediate General Election.
Sir Peter, who has been a constituency agent for the Conservative Party for the past 41 years, told The Hunts Post: "I can understand the public anger at the current revelations regarding the behaviour of a number of Members of Parliament and their expense claims.
"Saying sorry is not enough. This parliament has forfeited all its credibility and is dead in the water. Prolonging it for a further 12 months is not an option.
"The Prime Minister won't do it, so the Queen should invite all the party leaders to Buckingham Palace and tell them that she is using her constitutional powers to call an election," he added.
You may also want to watch:
"This scandal has been running for weeks and only David Cameron has had the courage to take a lead on the issue by announcing immediate and far-reaching changes to what Conservative MPs are able to claim. If they wanted to, the authorities have the power to introduce new expense rules in a matter of days.
Sir Peter is seeking re-election next month to Cambridgeshire County Council, where he is a cabinet member.
- 1 Huntingdon home to one of the most 'luxurious' breakfasts in the UK
- 2 Giant elephant and free rides at Huntingdon Fun Day
- 3 Huntingdon 'predator' jailed for raping woman at his home
- 4 Sewer network improvements in £600k investment for St Neots
- 5 Pigeons still roosting on old A14 bridge despite preventative mesh
- 6 Widow, 80, cleans blocked drain in Buckden after 'several floods'
- 7 Four dogs rescued after being abandoned on A14
- 8 Visiting to resume at Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 Group charged in connection with Rutland Cycling burglary
- 10 Rural theft cost Cambridgeshire £2 million in 2020
"It comes at a time when hard working local government candidates and Party volunteers are pounding the streets for the county council and European elections," he added.
"Our Parliament used to be the envy of the world. Now it's a laughing stock."
Sir Peter, who is Huntingdon MP Jonathan Djanogly's agent, was knighted in Sir John Major's Resignation Honours in 1997.