Dame Norma Major Calls In To Charity
DAME Norma Major helped a Huntingdon charity celebrate its birthday in style. The wife of the former Prime Minister, Sir John Major visited volunteers of Welcome Home From Hospital at a special coffee morning at the Saxongate Community Learning Centre in
DAME Norma Major helped a Huntingdon charity celebrate its birthday in style.
The wife of the former Prime Minister, Sir John Major visited volunteers of Welcome Home From Hospital at a special coffee morning at the Saxongate Community Learning Centre in the town on Friday.
Dame Norma launched the scheme in 2006 and since then it has helped more than 200 patients settle back home after a stay in hospital.
Volunteers help people with shopping, collecting pensions and prescriptions or even just stopping by for a chat during their first two weeks back at home.
Welcome Home from Hospital is run by local charity Care Network Cambridgeshire, which also does community development work advising and helping rural communities set up Good Neighbour and Car Share schemes tailored to address the local needs.
Huntingdon co-ordinator Lesley Griffey said: "It's a great scheme, which offers practical real help to real people and it is very rewarding for the volunteers too. We desperately need more volunteers across the district so if you are interested in helping out, or you would like to use our service, please call the team."
- 1 Vehicle caught fire on A1 near St Neots
- 2 Man assaulted woman and verbally abused hotel staff
- 3 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 4 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 5 Huntingdon Carnival and parade returns this summer
- 6 £1,350 a day (plus VAT) for new chief executive at combined authority
- 7 Honda, Seat and Toyota crash on A141
- 8 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 9 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 10 This year's Huntingdon in Bloom launch event has taken place
INFORMATION: Welcome Home From Hospital can be contacted on 01480 423065.