Dame Norma Major Calls In To Charity
DAME Norma Major helped a Huntingdon charity celebrate its birthday in style. The wife of the former Prime Minister, Sir John Major visited volunteers of Welcome Home From Hospital at a special coffee morning at the Saxongate Community Learning Centre in
DAME Norma Major helped a Huntingdon charity celebrate its birthday in style.
The wife of the former Prime Minister, Sir John Major visited volunteers of Welcome Home From Hospital at a special coffee morning at the Saxongate Community Learning Centre in the town on Friday.
Dame Norma launched the scheme in 2006 and since then it has helped more than 200 patients settle back home after a stay in hospital.
Volunteers help people with shopping, collecting pensions and prescriptions or even just stopping by for a chat during their first two weeks back at home.
You may also want to watch:
Welcome Home from Hospital is run by local charity Care Network Cambridgeshire, which also does community development work advising and helping rural communities set up Good Neighbour and Car Share schemes tailored to address the local needs.
Huntingdon co-ordinator Lesley Griffey said: "It's a great scheme, which offers practical real help to real people and it is very rewarding for the volunteers too. We desperately need more volunteers across the district so if you are interested in helping out, or you would like to use our service, please call the team."
- 1 Read about the interesting history of the village of Broughton
- 2 Matt Hancock at Hinchingbrooke Hospital today
- 3 Man jailed for sexual relationship with schoolgirl
- 4 Man dies following collision near Bluntisham
- 5 Broughton - litter-picking, bell cleaning and great community spirit
- 6 Eight picture-perfect picnic spots across East Anglia
- 7 Check out some of Huntingdonshire's fascinating history
- 8 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 9 Landmark A14 viaduct demolition is captured on camera
- 10 Interactive map shows Covid Indian variant cases in Huntingdonshire
INFORMATION: Welcome Home From Hospital can be contacted on 01480 423065.