Dame Norma Major Calls In To Charity
DAME Norma Major helped a Huntingdon charity celebrate its birthday in style. The wife of the former Prime Minister, Sir John Major visited volunteers of Welcome Home From Hospital at a special coffee morning at the Saxongate Community Learning Centre in
DAME Norma Major helped a Huntingdon charity celebrate its birthday in style.
The wife of the former Prime Minister, Sir John Major visited volunteers of Welcome Home From Hospital at a special coffee morning at the Saxongate Community Learning Centre in the town on Friday.
Dame Norma launched the scheme in 2006 and since then it has helped more than 200 patients settle back home after a stay in hospital.
Volunteers help people with shopping, collecting pensions and prescriptions or even just stopping by for a chat during their first two weeks back at home.
You may also want to watch:
Welcome Home from Hospital is run by local charity Care Network Cambridgeshire, which also does community development work advising and helping rural communities set up Good Neighbour and Car Share schemes tailored to address the local needs.
Huntingdon co-ordinator Lesley Griffey said: "It's a great scheme, which offers practical real help to real people and it is very rewarding for the volunteers too. We desperately need more volunteers across the district so if you are interested in helping out, or you would like to use our service, please call the team."
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 3 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 6 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
- 7 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
- 8 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 9 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 10 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
INFORMATION: Welcome Home From Hospital can be contacted on 01480 423065.