Cub earns his spurs
YOUNG scout Christopher Radbone has earned the highest scouting award possible for a cub scout – and he is still just nine years old. Usually cubs are at least 10 before they embark on the projects they need to complete the Chief Scout s Silver Award. Ch
YOUNG scout Christopher Radbone has earned the highest scouting award possible for a cub scout - and he is still just nine years old.
Usually cubs are at least 10 before they embark on the projects they need to complete the Chief Scout's Silver Award.
Christopher, from Hilton, is the first cub to gain the award in several years.
A member of the 1st Fenstanton and Hilton Scout Group, Christopher had to achieve three badges - outdoor challenge, creative and global - as well as carry out a personal project to achieve the award.
You may also want to watch:
For the outdoor badge he went camping, learned how use a compass and went fishing, for the creative badge he made a model village out of junk, and put together a portfolio of photographs about the things he likes about scouting, and for the global challenge, he recycled everything in his home for two weeks and kept a log of what went where.
Christopher, who plays for St Ives Rugby Club, had a personal challenge to improve his rugby skills over six weeks.
- 1 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 2 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 3 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 4 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 5 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
- 6 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 7 Freed from custody, animal rights campaigner back at Camp Beagle
- 8 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 9 446 catalytic converter thefts in just 8 months reported in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
The silver award was presented to Christopher by the district commissioner for Cromwell Scouts, Tony Best.
INFORMATION: Across Cambridgeshire there are currently not enough adult volunteers as scout leaders. If you can help call Louise Clover on 01480 831175 or see www.scubes.co.uk