Cub earns his spurs
YOUNG scout Christopher Radbone has earned the highest scouting award possible for a cub scout – and he is still just nine years old. Usually cubs are at least 10 before they embark on the projects they need to complete the Chief Scout s Silver Award. Ch
YOUNG scout Christopher Radbone has earned the highest scouting award possible for a cub scout - and he is still just nine years old.
Usually cubs are at least 10 before they embark on the projects they need to complete the Chief Scout's Silver Award.
Christopher, from Hilton, is the first cub to gain the award in several years.
A member of the 1st Fenstanton and Hilton Scout Group, Christopher had to achieve three badges - outdoor challenge, creative and global - as well as carry out a personal project to achieve the award.
For the outdoor badge he went camping, learned how use a compass and went fishing, for the creative badge he made a model village out of junk, and put together a portfolio of photographs about the things he likes about scouting, and for the global challenge, he recycled everything in his home for two weeks and kept a log of what went where.
Christopher, who plays for St Ives Rugby Club, had a personal challenge to improve his rugby skills over six weeks.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 3 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 4 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
- 5 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 6 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 7 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 8 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 9 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 10 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
The silver award was presented to Christopher by the district commissioner for Cromwell Scouts, Tony Best.
INFORMATION: Across Cambridgeshire there are currently not enough adult volunteers as scout leaders. If you can help call Louise Clover on 01480 831175 or see www.scubes.co.uk