Couple feet first into retirement
A SHOE shop which opened only in the evenings is to close after exactly 29 years of trading. Hereford House Shoes in Somersham High Street will close on Saturday as owners, Ingrid and David Chambers, pictured, retire. On Monday they said they still had a
A SHOE shop which opened only in the evenings is to close after exactly 29 years of trading.
Hereford House Shoes in Somersham High Street will close on Saturday as owners, Ingrid and David Chambers, pictured, retire.
On Monday they said they still had at least 1,000 pairs of shoes left, but were hoping to sell many of them before finally closing up shop at the weekend.
Mrs Chambers, formerly a librarian at the British Antarctic Survey, opened the shop on April 1, 1978 with opening hours between 4.30pm and 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "Everyone in the village worked so we opened when they were able to shop. Word got round and we had visitors from Australia and Canada who would come in to buy our shoes.
"But people's shopping habits have changed and lately we have not always been as busy as we would have liked to be.
- 1 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 2 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 3 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 4 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 5 Wanted woman accused of killing children in M1 crash could be in Huntingdon
- 6 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 7 Freed from custody, animal rights campaigner back at Camp Beagle
- 8 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 9 446 catalytic converter thefts in just 8 months reported in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Tractor driver error may have caused freight derailment in the Fens
"Also the shop has been a big tie. Now, we will be able to go on holiday and out to the theatre."
Mr Chambers, who was an art teacher at St Ivo School for 40 years until his semi-retirement five years ago, added: "There comes a time when you just have to close. We specialised in good quality, leather English and Italian shoes. We could offer them at reduced prices because our overheads were low."
The couple, who are grandparents, said they would let out the premises.
For the past month, they have opened only on Saturdays with all shoes selling at £15 or half-price whichever is less.
INFORMATION: Hereford House Shoes, at 67 Somersham High Street, will be open for the last time on Saturday from 9.30am to 5.30pm. Telephone 01487 840233.