Councillors let us down
HOW can HDC make such a poor judgement about the effect of the ring road lane closures? Is it not aware of the negative effect that this year s bus lane works had on local businesses, some of which still have not recovered? Surely it knows that retail
HOW can HDC make such a poor judgement about the effect of the ring road lane closures?
Is it not aware of the negative effect that this year's bus lane works had on local businesses, some of which still have not recovered?
Surely it knows that retail makes most of its revenue during the build up to Christmas and that people shop locally the closer to Christmas we get. Or perhaps it does and just doesn't care. Shoppers do not wait and come later. They spend their money elsewhere and that revenue is lost to Huntingdon for ever. After all, HDC has four market towns to look after.
We elect HDC members. We pay for them. Businesses help create a financially sustainable environment for them to have a community. So why do they seem to act so indifferently about the effects their actions have on the local community? There are some HDC officers who are working hard to develop our economic environment and then this happens, which makes their investment such a waste. Is this the "joined up" local government we want or deserve?
You may also want to watch:
Without a vibrant business and retail community HDC would not have a community. HDC councillors should be ashamed of themselves for not protecting the community they are supposed to represent and serve.
A TV series character had a catch phrase "power to the people". I wish to remind people of this and next election time vote for your community and not for party politics. Ask yourself: did your councillor do right by your community.
- 1 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 2 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 3 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 4 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 5 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 6 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire
- 9 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 10 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
TERRY DOWNING, Wisdom Communications, Brampton