Councillors’ expenses should be just that
THE leader of Cambridgeshire County Council, who wants to increase expenses for councillors “to attract better quality people”, has it completely back to front.
Expenses for councillors should no more than repay travelling costs – beyond that there should be no further payments.
Giving enhanced amounts would increasingly attract people “in it for the money” (even after tax). If there were no rewards, you would know that the people standing as councillors are doing it solely because they want to, as it was many years ago in the days before “professional” councillors.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 2 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 3 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 4 Homebirths suspended at Hinchingbrooke Hospital due to staff shortages
- 5 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 6 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 7 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31