Councillors’ expenses should be just that
THE leader of Cambridgeshire County Council, who wants to increase expenses for councillors “to attract better quality people”, has it completely back to front.
Expenses for councillors should no more than repay travelling costs – beyond that there should be no further payments.
Giving enhanced amounts would increasingly attract people “in it for the money” (even after tax). If there were no rewards, you would know that the people standing as councillors are doing it solely because they want to, as it was many years ago in the days before “professional” councillors.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Shops, homes and office space plan for town centre building
- 2 St Neots man banned from pubs for two years
- 3 Homes plan will 'breathe new life' into town
- 4 St Neots care assistant Jack set to shine in BBC Three's Glow Up
- 5 Memories of St Neots' town centre
- 6 Ventriloquist shares career highlights after retiring in Huntingdon
- 7 Government plans at-home tablet to 'stop the virus in its tracks'
- 8 Woman who died in fatal crash in Eaton Ford has been named
- 9 For sale: Spacious two bedroom bungalow with generous plots in Hartford
- 10 St Ives teenager donating her hair for charity