Councillors’ expenses should be just that
THE leader of Cambridgeshire County Council, who wants to increase expenses for councillors “to attract better quality people”, has it completely back to front.
Expenses for councillors should no more than repay travelling costs – beyond that there should be no further payments.
Giving enhanced amounts would increasingly attract people “in it for the money” (even after tax). If there were no rewards, you would know that the people standing as councillors are doing it solely because they want to, as it was many years ago in the days before “professional” councillors.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 2 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 3 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 4 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 5 Stuie Delf launches new fundraising campaign in memory of his brother
- 6 Letter of the Week: 'Could we sue stores who don't enforce mask wearing'?
- 7 Man who spent Christmas alone in intensive care proposes to girlfriend
- 8 Child rescued from floodwater in Godmanchester
- 9 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 10 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years