Council unwelcoming over travellers’ sites
DO not expect Huntingdonshire to take your overspill travelling families because they won t want to come here, South Cambridgeshire District Council is to be told. South Cambs already has nearly 300 caravans on authorised sites and more than 180 on unauth
DO not expect Huntingdonshire to take your overspill travelling families because they won't want to come here, South Cambridgeshire District Council is to be told.
South Cambs already has nearly 300 caravans on authorised sites and more than 180 on unauthorised sites, mostly in the Milton, Cottenham and Willingham areas.
A recent survey suggested the need for up to 130 further approved sites in the Cambridge sub-region by 2010, but only 15-25 in Huntingdonshire, which historically holds little attraction for travellers.
The South Cambs council has identified two possible options - either to provide additional pitches to meet all the identified demand or just to meet some of the demand and expect neighbouring councils to pick up the pieces.
You may also want to watch:
But Huntingdonshire District Council's cabinet will be asked tomorrow (Thursday) to tell its neighbour that travellers' needs should be met where they arise.
"Any attempt to accommodate gypsies and travellers away from those areas in which they wish to locate will fail and simply perpetuate the problem of unauthorised encampments," planning policy manager Richard Probyn will tell them.
- 1 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 2 Motorist crashes into telephone pole at Wyton
- 3 Road closure in Huntingdon over weekend of July 31
- 4 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 5 St Ives woman who sold ecstasy to school children avoids jail
- 6 First post-lockdown Parkrun in St Neots held in memory of four runners
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Heroin worth £1.7m found in holdall in car in St Neots
- 9 Roman millstone with 2,000-year-old engraving of penis to go on display
- 10 7 of the prettiest villages in Huntingdonshire