Corn Exchange work 'could be completed by Christmas'
THE St Ives Corn Exchange could still be completed by Christmas, despite delays in beginning construction work, the town council believes. In a progress report to the council, town clerk Alison Melnyczuk says that putting the project out to tender was a
THE St Ives Corn Exchange could still be completed by Christmas, despite delays in beginning construction work, the town council believes.
In a progress report to the council, town clerk Alison Melnyczuk says that putting the project 'out to tender' was among the reasons for delays in getting the project under way.
With contractors Pembrook Ltd have been appointed to carry out the work, a detailed project timeline has now been established - see panel - the report says.
However, in a letter to St Ives Town Council, Pembrook Ltd director Colin Harding admits progress will have to be 'pretty quick' to meet the December target date.
A steering group formed of nine people will liaise with Pembrook Ltd throughout the project, while the newly-elected town councillors are set to tour the Corn Exchange with project manager Michael Purchas tomorrow night (Thursday).
Following a public consultation and discussions with potential user groups, the first floor will now include a seating area and two meeting rooms/office spaces.
- 1 Young man dies on B645 near St Neots following a head-on crash
- 2 Tributes for Godmanchester mum Lisa Leader who passed away on Friday
- 3 Businesswoman who launched popular St Ives shop has died
- 4 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 5 House set alight in Brampton
- 6 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 7 Overwhelming response to MND charity walk
- 8 Local businesses join forces to create a Christmas Beer
- 9 Man who assaulted police officer claimed it was 'black magic'
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections
The preliminary ground floor design will be adapted to include a booking office/cloakroom and the rear balcony will have a sound and lighting room.
Action Corn Exchange will co-ordinate additional fundraising for the project and Huntingdonshire District Council have been approached for a small grant to fit out the kitchen.
Corn Exchange - Proposed Timetable
Planning Applications Submitted June
Drawings Completed June 30
Approvals Grants August 11
Main Contractor AppointedAugust 13
Work BeginsSeptember 1
Handover DateDecember 8