Con man who posed as M15 agent sentenced to 14 years in prison
A former policeman who pretended to be a secret agent and a wealthy recluse s gay lover in a bid to get money has been sentenced to 14 years in prison. Marcus Alder, 48, of Apple Close, Offord D Arcy faked a suicide note after finding Philip Tyssen-Gee d
A former policeman who pretended to be a secret agent and a wealthy recluse's gay lover in a bid to get money has been sentenced to 14 years in prison.
Marcus Alder, 48, of Apple Close, Offord D'Arcy faked a suicide note after finding Philip Tyssen-Gee dead in Somersham in 2006 and tried to swindle at least £100,000 from the family.
Alder also tried to con money out of women he met on the internet and tried to impress them by claiming he was an M15 agent.
The jury heard how Alder carried a fake MI5 identity card - which mis-spelled the name of the intelligence agency's director general and he drove a BMW with the registration MI5 SPY.
Prosecutors at Peterborough Crown Court said Alder had maintained an "aura" of being a spy who needed weapons for protection. The jury heard that police had found an array of weapons at Alder's house including an imitation pistol hidden in a tin disguised as a book, a taser, a Samurai sword and knives.
He denied 14 charges but after a month-long trial a jury found him guilty of every offence apart from two counts of theft.
- 1 No water relief for depleted rivers and reservoirs with another heatwave forecast
- 2 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 3 Little Gransden Air and Car Show to celebrate 30 years of fundraising for children in need
- 4 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 5 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 6 Huntingdonshire architecture practice shortlisted for national awards
- 7 Little Gransden woman in line for prestigious national award
- 8 War-time crash crew take on street names in Godmanchester
- 9 Huntingdon and Godmanchester celebrate 40-year twinning anniversary in Germany
- 10 St Neots man who put 'fear into the lives' of his victims is jailed
At Peterborough Crown Court on Wednesday (December 17) he was handed a 14 year prison term.