Commerce chief seeks re-assurance
JOHN Bridge, chief executive of Cambridgeshire Chambers of Commerce, this week wrote to Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly, demanding assurance of the Government s continued commitment to the A14 upgrade. Now is the time for complete honesty in relation to t
JOHN Bridge, chief executive of Cambridgeshire Chambers of Commerce, this week wrote to Transport Secretary Ruth Kelly, demanding assurance of the Government's continued commitment to the A14 upgrade.
"Now is the time for complete honesty in relation to the Government's position regarding this, so it would be much appreciated if you could give us your personal commitment relating to this and not pass this letter to the Highways Agency to answer, when it does not have the ability to make such commitments," he told her.
"When will the key authorities take responsibility for the fact that we need action now, and that the escalating magnitude of incidents with their very severe impact on individuals and their families, is becoming totally unacceptable?" he asked the Minister.
"In addition, from meetings I have had with local authorities and other local bodies there has been total agreement that the A14 upgrading between Huntingdon and Cambridge is an absolutely vital ingredient of our challenging growth agenda. Without this occurring it is very difficult for any of us to see how we can commit to the growth agenda required of us.
You may also want to watch:
"With the Highways Agency having recently introduced a further delay by not appointing the contractors as expected this autumn, concern has been created in our minds regarding the commitment to this vital piece of work.
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 4 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 5 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson
- 6 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Police warning after spate of thefts from cars in Warboys
- 10 Dismay and concern over plans to build 36-foot railway viaduct