WHEN so many people have real fears about the visual impact of wind farms, such as the one that may be proposed for Cotton Farm on the site of the former Graveley airfield, alternatives need to be considered seriously. We cannot continue to consume foss
WHEN so many people have real fears about the visual impact of wind farms, such as the one that may be proposed for Cotton Farm on the site of the former Graveley airfield, alternatives need to be considered seriously.
We cannot continue to consume fossil fuels to provide our electricity. Resources are scarce, and the emissions from its generation are no longer acceptable - whatever the merits of the arguments about climate change, the exhaust gases are harmful to health.
If not on-shore wind generation, then what? Perhaps we have reached the stage of thinking what for some is the unthinkable.
Nuclear generation technology has developed markedly in the last five decades. Huge amounts of electricity consumed in France and Germany come from nuclear stations. Yet there is an irrational fear here.
You may also want to watch:
There need not be if it is properly managed - and the nuclear industry across the world, even most of the old installations, has a pretty good record of containment.
There are some concerns about terrorism and disposal, but those can be met by security and science. Nuclear is clean, safe, has little landscape impact and has the potential to make a real contribution to meeting our energy needs.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Day of action at Camp Beagle as protesters demand release of puppies
- 3 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 4 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 5 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 6 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 7 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 8 Plea for caution as Covid-19 rates rise
- 9 Is this striking 20ft palm tree the biggest in Huntingdonshire?
- 10 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
So what are we so afraid of?