Come out of your council offices and listen to the people
WITH regard to the so-called compromise offered regarding St Neots Riverside parking charges (The Hunts Post, February 17), anything less than free parking all of the time is a totally unacceptable solution. Various reports, letters, petitions and my own
WITH regard to the so-called compromise offered regarding St Neots Riverside parking charges (The Hunts Post, February 17), anything less than free parking all of the time is a totally unacceptable solution.
Various reports, letters, petitions and my own experience meeting local businesses and individuals all show that there is overwhelming opposition to any charging.
It is such a shame that the desire to impose these measures on St Neots stems not from a wish to do what is best for our town but to prop up the district council's failing finances.
Imagine the confusion as people drive round trying to work out which spaces are free and for how long. Imagine how a relaxed day at the park or visiting the town is overshadowed by the need to rush back to the car before the ticket runs out.
Think about the extra traffic in our already-polluted town centre as the incentive to park out of town is removed. Not to mention the impact on our shops and businesses. All they want is a helping hand in these hard times, not a slap in the face from the district council.
I can see why people think that Huntingdonshire District Council may have it in for St Neots and, based on this evidence, I am inclined to agree.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
So I say to HDC: don't close our toilets, hands off our free parking and for once just once come out of your multi million pound offices and listen to the people of this town.
Councillor STEVE van de KERKHOVE
St NeotsTown Council