Climate change meeting to be held in St Neots
A PUBLIC meeting is being held on Monday (April 27) to help St Neots deal with the challenges of climate change and become a more sustainable town. The meeting is being hosted by Huntingdonshire Green Party at the Priory Centre in Priory Lane, St Neots a
A PUBLIC meeting is being held on Monday (April 27) to help St Neots deal with the challenges of climate change and become a more sustainable town.
The meeting is being hosted by Huntingdonshire Green Party at the Priory Centre in Priory Lane, St Neots at 7.30pm.
It will discuss the possibility of St Neots becoming the UK's next Transition Town and ways residents can help create a more sustainable community.
The UK Transition Town movement began in Totnes in 2006. Since then, more than 100 towns, villages, cities and islands across the country have joined the movement to steer their communities through the challenges of climate change.
A Transition Town is a community that works together to build awareness of the need to rebuild local economies, form groups looking at all key areas of life (food, transport, health, heart and soul, economics and livelihoods) and implement an 'Energy Descent Plan' over a 15-20 year timescale.
A spokesman for Huntingdonshire Green Party said: "With oil and gas prices continuing to rise and a global economy in crisis, now is the time to start looking to the future in St Neots, to re-engage the community and to rebuild the local infrastructure that enabled a self supporting community to survive for hundreds of years, right up until only a generation ago."
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 3 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 4 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 5 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 6 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 7 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 8 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Tobias Taylor earns GB call after second national schools boxing title
INFORMATION: Anyone interested in finding out more or forming an initiation group for Transition Town St Neots, should visit www.hunts.greenparty.org.uk or e-mail email@example.com or phone Sarah Boulton on 01480 211989.