Climate change meeting to be held in St Neots
A PUBLIC meeting is being held on Monday (April 27) to help St Neots deal with the challenges of climate change and become a more sustainable town. The meeting is being hosted by Huntingdonshire Green Party at the Priory Centre in Priory Lane, St Neots a
A PUBLIC meeting is being held on Monday (April 27) to help St Neots deal with the challenges of climate change and become a more sustainable town.
The meeting is being hosted by Huntingdonshire Green Party at the Priory Centre in Priory Lane, St Neots at 7.30pm.
It will discuss the possibility of St Neots becoming the UK's next Transition Town and ways residents can help create a more sustainable community.
The UK Transition Town movement began in Totnes in 2006. Since then, more than 100 towns, villages, cities and islands across the country have joined the movement to steer their communities through the challenges of climate change.
You may also want to watch:
A Transition Town is a community that works together to build awareness of the need to rebuild local economies, form groups looking at all key areas of life (food, transport, health, heart and soul, economics and livelihoods) and implement an 'Energy Descent Plan' over a 15-20 year timescale.
A spokesman for Huntingdonshire Green Party said: "With oil and gas prices continuing to rise and a global economy in crisis, now is the time to start looking to the future in St Neots, to re-engage the community and to rebuild the local infrastructure that enabled a self supporting community to survive for hundreds of years, right up until only a generation ago."
- 1 Woman left with a ‘bloodied nose’ in Huntingdon
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Jail for Fenstanton man who groomed teenager
- 4 Volunteers needed for memorial nature reserve
- 5 Family pay tribute to great grandfather who died in Buckden Road crash
- 6 Secret Garden Party to return after five years
- 7 Do you remember the old Megatron at Alconbury?
- 8 Malaysian-style Fens home leaves Grand Designs viewers in awe
- 9 Woman in her 60s 'remains in serious condition' after B1514 crash
- 10 Drug dealing pair caught thanks to eagle-eyed neighbours
INFORMATION: Anyone interested in finding out more or forming an initiation group for Transition Town St Neots, should visit www.hunts.greenparty.org.uk or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Sarah Boulton on 01480 211989.