Churchyard rose honour for Chris
A ROSE has been dedicated to Cecily Lawrence, always known as Chris, who was twice Mayor of Huntingdon. The standard rose was placed in St Mary s Churchyard with a small plaque, by members of Huntingdon Town Council and Huntingdon Freemen s Charity. In u
A ROSE has been dedicated to Cecily Lawrence, always known as Chris, who was twice Mayor of Huntingdon.
The standard rose was placed in St Mary's Churchyard with a small plaque, by members of Huntingdon Town Council and Huntingdon Freemen's Charity. In unveiling the plaque, Mike Bloomfield, current Chairman of the Charity and himself a former, Mayor of Huntingdon, summed up Chris's life in, and service to, Huntingdon Town.
He said: "Chris and her husband Len came here from London as part of the town expansion scheme. They both fell in love with the town and did everything they could to make it a better place.
"Chris worked for many years as a volunteer with the WRVS, working hard in the kitchens."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Lawrence, who died last year, served on the town council for 12 years. She was elected mayor twice in the 1980s and chaired the Huntingdon and Godmanchester Twinning Committee for several years.
She and her husband took a keen interest in Huntingdon's history, particularly its old buildings - not least St Mary's Church, in the heart of Huntingdon where her rose now stands.
- 1 Not one, but possibly two viaducts for St Neots!
- 2 Drink-drive arrest after crash in Huntingdon
- 3 Nurses Day 2021: You thank our dedicated Hunts nurses for their care
- 4 Paedophile exposed in undercover police operation
- 5 Woman stole from terminally-ill mother
- 6 Life is sweet! Cheesecake emporium opens in Brampton
- 7 Huntingdon drug dealer jailed after police find messages on his phone
- 8 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 9 Pasco Hussain is named as the new mayor of St Ives
- 10 Metro is off the cards says new mayor Dr Nik Johnson