Churchyard rose honour for Chris
A ROSE has been dedicated to Cecily Lawrence, always known as Chris, who was twice Mayor of Huntingdon. The standard rose was placed in St Mary s Churchyard with a small plaque, by members of Huntingdon Town Council and Huntingdon Freemen s Charity. In u
A ROSE has been dedicated to Cecily Lawrence, always known as Chris, who was twice Mayor of Huntingdon.
The standard rose was placed in St Mary's Churchyard with a small plaque, by members of Huntingdon Town Council and Huntingdon Freemen's Charity. In unveiling the plaque, Mike Bloomfield, current Chairman of the Charity and himself a former, Mayor of Huntingdon, summed up Chris's life in, and service to, Huntingdon Town.
He said: "Chris and her husband Len came here from London as part of the town expansion scheme. They both fell in love with the town and did everything they could to make it a better place.
"Chris worked for many years as a volunteer with the WRVS, working hard in the kitchens."
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Lawrence, who died last year, served on the town council for 12 years. She was elected mayor twice in the 1980s and chaired the Huntingdon and Godmanchester Twinning Committee for several years.
She and her husband took a keen interest in Huntingdon's history, particularly its old buildings - not least St Mary's Church, in the heart of Huntingdon where her rose now stands.
- 1 St Neots rapist jailed for 11 years
- 2 New Post Office branch opens in St Neots
- 3 Suspected firearm and drugs found in raid on Huntingdon house
- 4 Eric Morecambe 'amused guests' when his family owned this St Ives hotel
- 5 'Unprecedented crisis’ over school bus drivers
- 6 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 7 Motorists urged not to 'panic buy' fuel as queues cause chaos across Hunts
- 8 Old Mill upgrade at Godmanchester is suspended through lack of materials
- 9 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
- 10 Hinchingbrooke Hospital needs 'urgent' rebuild by 2030, warns MP