Church gets antique aid
ANTIQUES expert Thomas Plant helped raise £1,270 for St Mary s Church in Eaton Socon by casting his eye over some family heirlooms and keepsakes. Thomas, who regularly appears on the BBC television programme, Flog It!, was married at the church and return
ANTIQUES expert Thomas Plant helped raise £1,270 for St Mary's Church in Eaton Socon by casting his eye over some family heirlooms and keepsakes.
Thomas, who regularly appears on the BBC television programme, Flog It!, was married at the church and returned on Saturday, January 27, to help with fundraising.
Residents from Eaton Socon, St Neots and further afield were invited to attend a valuation day at the church and get some expert advice in return for a donation.
Thomas and his colleague gave valuations on almost 200 items - from paintings and ceramics to jewellery.
"It was brilliant," he said. "I would definitely do it again, maybe late this year or early next year."
The money raised will be used for ongoing work on the church work. Further fundraising events are also being planned.
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 3 Could you give these pets a home?
- 4 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 5 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 6 'He is our hero' - D-day veteran Wilf, 102, gets surprise visit in St Neots
- 7 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 8 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 9 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years
- 10 Thousands of trees planted in green initiative
Linda Walton, a member of the parish church council, said: "It was absolutely wonderful. A really fun day with lots of people and smiles.
"It was nice as many people's interest was mainly in the history of their items rather than the money value.
"We would like to say thank you to all the local companies for their wonderful donations. They were all very generous.