Children escape uninjured from house fire
A 16-year-old and a seven-year-old escaped uninjured from a house fire after a microwave burst into flames. Two crews from Huntingdon were called to the blaze in Macbeth Close in Huntingdon on Thursday, October 23 at 10.15pm. When firefighters arrived
A 16-year-old and a seven-year-old escaped uninjured from a house fire after a microwave burst into flames.
Two crews from Huntingdon were called to the blaze in Macbeth Close in Huntingdon on Thursday, October 23 at 10.15pm.
When firefighters arrived on scene they discovered that the teenager inside the house had placed chips in paper in the microwave, causing a fire.
When the teenager discovered the fire, he quickly left the house, along with a child he was looking after, and dialled 999.
Firefighters used one hose reel and wore breathing apparatus to extinguish the fire.
The damage was limited to the area near the microwave, with the rest of the home being left with light smoke damage.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 5 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 8 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 9 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
- 10 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
Brian Ferguson, Crew Manager at Huntingdon Fire Station, said: "We were very impressed that the young lad did exactly the right thing in getting everyone out of the house, dialling 999 and not attempting to go back inside.
"Too often we encounter people who try to tackle fires themselves and end up getting injured as a result.
"After speaking to him, he told us that he had remembered the code `Get out, stay out and call the fire service out' from when crews had visited his school, and this is why he knew exactly what to do.
"I find this very encouraging indeed."
Firefighters fitted smoke alarms at the home and returned to base by 11.05pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental.
INFORMATION: For fire safety advice, visit, www.cambsfire.gov.uk