A slightly younger-than-usual mayor and deputy mayor duo were elected in Huntingdon on Thursday – the deputy mayor, Councillor Saeed (Sid) Akthar, having been a councillor for only two weeks. The new mayor, Councillor Jennifer Sarabia, 43, was deputy mayo
A slightly younger-than-usual mayor and deputy mayor duo were elected in Huntingdon on Thursday - the deputy mayor, Councillor Saeed (Sid) Akthar, having been a councillor for only two weeks.
The new mayor, Councillor Jennifer Sarabia, 43, was deputy mayor to Cllr Helen Mallett in 2005 and has been a councillor for four years.
She said: "I have a lot of plans. I want them to appeal to people of all ages, not just the elderly or just young people.
"We are keen to get the community spirit back up. There were 162 organisations who worked together for the Huntingdon 800 events and we would like to get that co-operation back again. One of my ideas is an all-day concert with all types of music in Riverside Park with something for everyone.
You may also want to watch:
"Another idea is for a history treasure hunt on the lines of the Da Vinci Code based on the history of Huntingdon."
Other plans include a Harley-Davidson display, which Cllr Sarabia said would attract Americans to the town. Her husband, Johnny, now based at RAF Molesworth, is from Texas.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 'People are angry' - hundreds protest outside Camp Beagle
- 3 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 4 Day of action at Camp Beagle as protesters demand release of puppies
- 5 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement
- 6 Protestors demand so-called beagle puppy ‘death camp’ is shut down
- 7 Strictly's Anton and Giovanni dazzle in sensational return to live theatre
- 8 Plea for caution as Covid-19 rates rise
- 9 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 10 Maddy's epic Channel swim will be 'powered by plants'