Causeway works better than Knut
M COHEN of Godmanchester wrote supporting the controversial plan to destroy our Causeway by concrete (Letters, April 15). Is this the same M Cohen who is not only a town councillor but also currently the deputy mayor? If so, it is apt he should mention Ki
M COHEN of Godmanchester wrote supporting the controversial plan to destroy our Causeway by concrete (Letters, April 15). Is this the same M Cohen who is not only a town councillor but also currently the deputy mayor?
If so, it is apt he should mention King Canute - the Causeway being a Saxon port it had already been in place long before Canute failed to stem the flood. Unlike Canute, however, the Causeway has held back the flood tides - for many years. And will continue to do so.
Canute let the waters wash over him to prove he wasn't a God, just a "worthless king." As an absolute monarch, he wasn't answerable to his people and didn't face election, unlike town councillors and deputy mayors.
M Cohen uses St Ives as an example of what Godmanchester could be like - missing the point that Godmanchester's Causeway is unique. We don't want it to be like St Ives. We're happy as it is.
You may also want to watch:
Would M Cohen like to explain to local residents why he's so intent on pushing a policy that will destroy our heritage and beauty spot?
- 1 Driver of fully laden HGV who failed breath test 'couldn't stand up unaided'
- 2 Super slimmer who lost one third of her body weight crowned woman of year
- 3 It's snowing! Send us your snow photos
- 4 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 5 Hunts police called to 'numerous breaches' of covid regulations
- 6 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 7 Chief executive takes 'personal oversight' of inquiry into deputy leader's farm tenancy
- 8 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 9 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 10 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village