Cash boost for young bikers
YOUNG bikers at a project in Ramsey received a cash boost of £250 from experienced motorcyclists on Saturday. The cash from Whittlesey Motorcycle Club will be used by the Gauntlet project in Ramsey to buy equipment, including helmets and boots. Gauntlet,
YOUNG bikers at a project in Ramsey received a cash boost of £250 from experienced motorcyclists on Saturday.
The cash from Whittlesey Motorcycle Club will be used by the Gauntlet project in Ramsey to buy equipment, including helmets and boots.
Gauntlet, a registered charity, was set up in 1995, to reduce the numbers of deaths among young motorcyclists. Groups meet on Saturday mornings to learn more about safe cycling and good motorcycle maintenance. The project has a seven-acre field, a workshop, mopeds, motorbikes, go-karts and quad bikes. The club has entered the national competition Youthbike for the past eight years and won several trophies.
It has a riding accreditation scheme, and runs camp-outs, holidays, outdoor activities and other events to build the young people's self-esteem and personal development.
You may also want to watch:
Wayne Arbon, who is both a member of Whittlesey Motorcycle Club and vice-chairman of the Gauntlet Project, said: "The courses are open to the general public, but also people in care or at-risk and disaffected young people. We see about 20-30 people on Saturdays and groups of 10-15 in the week. Gauntlet was set up by two businessmen in association with Cambridgeshire Police to reduce the number of bikes being stolen by young people who would then go on to kill themselves. It was intended to reduce motorcycle deaths among young people, and it has."
INFORMATION: Gauntlet is open on Saturday mornings for 11-16 year-olds from 10am to 12.30pm. Contact 01487 711161.
- 1 Woman jailed for knife-point robbery
- 2 Delicious dessert shop 'Snik Snax' opens
- 3 Huntingdon dealer who stole from vulnerable man is jailed
- 4 Warning to Huntingdon residents about the legal use of e-scooters
- 5 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Royal Oak in Hail Weston named as the best pub in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Life sentence for Huntingdon paedophile who abused seven girls
- 9 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 10 Huntingdon man found with stash of drugs and cash is jailed